Logo

Generator Coil on Mercury 98

smallhydroplane

"Hi, Ive got an early 80s merc

"Hi, Ive got an early 80s merc 9.8 and wanted to put a generator on it so I bought an alternator off ebay (mercury part number 74367A15 "Lighting Stator"). I installed it and at maximum rpm I am getting only about 3V AC which doesnt seem rite to me can anyone tell me if this alternator is working correctly. I dont want to go buy a $40 rectifier only to find it is usless. Thanks"

"Hi, thanks for the quick repl

"Hi, thanks for the quick reply, I checked the resistance and my gague reads infinate resistance (it is capable of measuring up to 200000ohm) So there must be a problem with this coil I will assume. What do you believe to be the cause? is it likely lead wires from the unit or the actual windings themselves? Should I try to fix it? Thanks"

It should not be infinite and

It should not be infinite and it is an open circuit.Wind a new coil on it if you are on a budget.

"Thanks ssparky, I will try to

"Thanks ssparky, I will try to fix it. Does anyone know what approximate voltage I should be getting out of this size alternator and what resistance it should be giving me approximately? (I would like to know if i have fixed it correctly after i attempt a repair) Thanks again."

"Thanks for all your help, i c

"Thanks for all your help, i checked the resistance at various places along the coil and leads and determined the problem to be the connection of one of hte lead wires to the end of the coils, problem solved. Thanks again"

Back