Logo

Zinc Anode Question

CopperJohn

Hello first time posting here
I have a 1989 Evinrude 120 it has a standard 13 spline gearcase or so I thought. If I look at the parts diagram for said gearcase you should just drop the trim tab find the bolt for the anode and slide out. This one doesnt have it. only zincs I see on the engine are the 2 on the steering bracket. My 98 115 had a visible anode as the parts diagram shows.
My question is did Evinrude make a 13 spline gearcase where you have to drop the lower unit to replace the anode? Or did they make a freshwater version that doesn't require an anode? I've run this engine in saltwater but have flushed with fresh after each use. Is this sufficient?

Thanks

It is possible that an older gearcase has been installed on your motor.---Many of the fresh water motors have a " dummy " anode just to fill the hole.----Some have an anode ( item #11 ) attached to the propshaft bearing carrier as well.

Thanks for the response!
I did some research using the parts diagrams. Found that cathodic protection was no offered until 1982. The bearing carrier didn't have protection until 1986. So it appears I have a pre 1982 gearcase. Wish me luck!

Last edited:
There are many older gearcases that are in excellent shape.-----But if you are worried then take it apart.----Inspect all the pieces.----Replace bearing above pinion gear.-----Install a seal kit.----Assemble.-----I say it a lot.----" easy to do in my opinion "

Back