Logo

Yearly bad winterizing thread fest

o2batsea

Outstanding Contributor
With at least 4 threads about cracked engines in the last week or so, here's another friendly reminder to everyone that winterization is so important. If you do nothing else, open the drain cocks or plugs on the side of the engine and drain the water when you put up the boat for the winter. That one small five minute task can save thousands and thousands of dollars. Just do it.

With at least 4 threads about cracked engines in the last week or so, here's another friendly reminder to everyone that winterization is so important. If you do nothing else, open the drain cocks or plugs on the side of the engine and drain the water when you put up the boat for the winter. That one small five minute task can save thousands and thousands of dollars. Just do it.
That, and probe the drain ports with a small tool or wire to ensure that rust scale is not preventing all water to drain.

As for o2batsea's bold text above..... Ditto! How true!

There is a man on the BOC who has a saying that goes something like this:

"All engine winterizing appears to be good in Novemeber and December...... it's not until Spring Time when we realize just how good or bad it actually was!"

Let me translate that for us:

Boat owner
images

Repair shop owner
images

When I stopped working for a marina and started doing "repair" on my own as a "second/side" job, I made up flyers to get my name out there and some business.

The line I included on it was:

"Pay me $75 now or $5000 later, Your choice!

This was my basic price for I/O winterization.

I think there are an additional ten threads since I posted this. Sad.
Lots of them are from folks who just got a freebie or a cheapie thinking they'd scored a bargain.

Back