Logo

YamahaF-90 not peeing

Alan S

Hello, I have a yamaha F-90. I replaced the impeller, along with the three gaskets and the two seals below the impeller that are just above the lower unit bearings. I put muffs on it and it won't pee. So I hooked a hose to the engine flush hose attachment. Still nothing. I did put some grease on the impeller. I wondered if that may have clogged a opening. But I still think the flusher should work. Any advice? Should I try to blow compressed air through? HOw much pressure is ok. I did check for mud wasps, and detached the hose. Thanks, Alan

I have on several different outboard models disconnected the line that goes from the pee hole in the cowling to where ever it comes out of the block. There has always been a fitting in the block that I could remove and relieve junk that has made it into the system. Maybe you already tried that... I've newer had the problem on a Yamaha. I had a helper install the impeller with veins bent in the wrong direction once. It moved water but just barely. Good Luck.

Was water discharging from the telltale when running engine before you dropped the LU? Was water discharging from the telltale when hooked up to the flush hose attachment before you dropped the LU?

I have on several different outboard models disconnected the line that goes from the pee hole in the cowling to where ever it comes out of the block. There has always been a fitting in the block that I could remove and relieve junk that has made it into the system. Maybe you already tried that... I've newer had the problem on a Yamaha. I had a helper install the impeller with veins bent in the wrong direction once. It moved water but just barely. Good Luck.

Thank you. Yes I disconnected the hose at the pee hole but not on the block end. I will try detaching it there. Will it hurt to use some compressed air? Alan

Was water discharging from the telltale when running engine before you dropped the LU? Was water discharging from the telltale when hooked up to the flush hose attachment before you dropped the LU?
I had it out on the lake about a month ago and it peed fine. But I don't remember if it worked with the hose attachment. When I started it I only let it idle not sure if that would be enough force to suck the water through. I turned the shaft clockwise when I put the impeller in. Thanks for any advise, Alan

I had it at the lake about a month ago and it peed fine after unclogging the pee hole with a paper clip. But I don't remember if the flusher worked. I don't think I tried it. When I put the impeller in I twisted the shaft clockwise. Thanks for any advise, Alan

Thank you. Yes I disconnected the hose at the pee hole but not on the block end. I will try detaching it there. Will it hurt to use some compressed air? Alan

No, compressed air if fine.

.....unclogging the pee hole with a paper clip

If debris was lodged in the telltale hose nearest the water exit then its possible there is more debris in the hose nearest the block. Water discharge from the telltale hose is not the only point of water exiting the cooling system....there are multiple points on the LU as well. So if you see water exiting these LU points, but do not see water exiting the telltale, and your overheat alarm doesn't trigger, then its safe to assume water is reaching/cooling the motor.

No, compressed air if fine.

If debris was lodged in the telltale hose nearest the water exit then its possible there is more debris in the hose nearest the block. Water discharge from the telltale hose is not the only point of water exiting the cooling system....there are multiple points on the LU as well. So if you see water exiting these LU points, but do not see water exiting the telltale, and your overheat alarm doesn't trigger, then its safe to assume water is reaching/cooling the motor.

Yes water comes out when I have the hose on the flush attachment at the bottom at least. I hope the rain stops today so I can try to get it cleaned out. Thanks I will let you know how i make out. Alan

Yes water comes out when I have the hose on the flush attachment at the bottom at least. I hope the rain stops today so I can try to get it cleaned out. Thanks I will let you know how i make out. Alan

I put air through the flush hose a little air came out the flush hose a first but not water and then no air. The hose itself is clear as is the telltale hose. could that poppet valve be the problem? I took the thermostat out and no water gets to the thermosat housing.

I put air through the flush hose a little air came out the flush hose a first but not water and then no air. The hose itself is clear as is the telltale hose. could that poppet valve be the problem? I took the thermostat out and no water gets to the thermosat housing.

Sorry to have bothered all of you with this. It turns out it was my fault. I bought the kit last year for the impeller. At least I think it was my fault in ordering the wrong kit. it was an aftermarket kit. I apparently ordered the wrong one. The impeller and the metal housing was a little shorter than the plastic cap so it wasn't a tight seal and not pulling. Thank you for all your help, I learned a lot anyway, Alan

Back