Logo

Yamaha V4 115HP 2002 dies after 20mph

JSta540

First time posting here:

I recently got a 2002 Skeeter SX180 bass fishing boat from a friend that has a Yamaha outboard motor. V4 115HP. Problem is whenever I get it on the water to run it dies after trying to go any faster than 20mph. I know the general working of a motor so I’ve cleaned the carburetor, replaced the fuel filter, spark plugs, and water fuel separator. It’s got brand new gas in it too. The worst part is it runs great in the driveway with muffs on I can get it to run full throttle with no problems. I’ve done some googling and tried messing with the so called ‘idle screws’ but nothing. Is there something simple I’m missing? My next thought is the fuel lines may be old and clogged but figured I’d post here to see if anyone has any experience or suggestions. If you need anymore info I’ll do my best to reply as quick as I can. Any help is greatly appreciated!

First time posting here:

I recently got a 2002 Skeeter SX180 bass fishing boat from a friend that has a Yamaha outboard motor. V4 115HP. Problem is whenever I get it on the water to run it dies after trying to go any faster than 20mph. I know the general working of a motor so I’ve cleaned the carburetor, replaced the fuel filter, spark plugs, and water fuel separator. It’s got brand new gas in it too. The worst part is it runs great in the driveway with muffs on I can get it to run full throttle with no problems. I’ve done some googling and tried messing with the so called ‘idle screws’ but nothing. Is there something simple I’m missing? My next thought is the fuel lines may be old and clogged but figured I’d post here to see if anyone has any experience or suggestions. If you need anymore info I’ll do my best to reply as quick as I can. Any help is greatly appreciated!
Model number please. Did you disassemble carbs and install new carb kits? Please post compression numbers.

Model number please. Did you disassemble carbs and install new carb kits? Please post compression numbers.
Model 115TLRB. I didn’t put anything new on the carbs. Should mention the engine has less than 100hrs runtime. I don’t have compression numbers I am unsure of how to get those

Back