Logo

Yamaha T9.9 water leak

dsm1212

Local repair shop (not a yamaha dealer) tells me I have a leaking seal or hose under the power head. However, it's still cooling the motor fine and moving a lot of water. Only fresh water use. He says it will cost $600-$700 for him to remove the power head to fix this, so he recommends not bothering. What do you think?

steve

check the cooling cover gasket on the side of the crankcase. maybe the bottom of the gasket is leaking into the cowling and appears to be from somewhere else. there are 2 gaskets in there because there is an inner cover and an outer cover

check the cooling cover gasket on the side of the crankcase. maybe the bottom of the gasket is leaking into the cowling and appears to be from somewhere else. there are 2 gaskets in there because there is an inner cover and an outer cover

Interesting, I'm not sure which cover you are referring to though. At this link for the upper casing would this be part 29 or 31 labeled "Apron"?

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/partvie...TBOARD_MOTORS)/UPPER_CASING_(T9.9ELRD_-_2005)

thanks for your help!

steve

correct, pieces 8, 9 and 10. You might be able to see under there while it's running on the flush rig. You might need a telescoping mirror to see clearly

correct, pieces 8, 9 and 10. You might be able to see under there while it's running on the flush rig. You might need a telescoping mirror to see clearly

Well, it appeared to be dry in that area. Family wanted to use the boat this weekend so I went ahead and put it in. The normal stream is flowing very fast so it's clearly getting cooled well. I'm going to keep an eye on it and as long as it doesn't change in September I'll haul it to a guy that I trust a little further away who told me it was only a $200 fix. This is used on a relatively small private lake so even if one of the kids overheat it, they can phone someone to come get them and if it gets toasted I'll buy a new motor.

thanks

steve

Back