Logo

Yamaha Precision blend 60HP problem

dover1982

Hi there. This is my first post and im not that great with engines so i will try and explain my problem and what is happening as best i can.

Yesterday, my brother and I took our boat (16ft Fibreglass half cab) with a 60HP Yamaha Precision Blend outboard over to westernport bay to do some fishing. We got the boat off the trailer and started it up. It took a little longer to start than normal but nothing that would make me worried as it was a cold start.

I let it idle for a couple of minutes and when i went to throttle it up, it took a couple of seconds to pick up revs. This was not normal so i let it idle again for another minute. It was blowing no more or less smoke than any other time and it had the same fuel in the tank i used a couple of days ago with no problems.

I then decided to quickly give it full throttle to see what happened. It took about 4 seconds to go from idle to full throttle and it sounded like it had a small miss in it.

I tried to engage forward gear and it spluttered for 3 seconds and stalled.*

I had a spare set of spark plugs in the car for this engine so i quickly swapped the old plugs out for new. After this, the boat would rev to full throttle quicker but not like it normally does. I engaged the prop in forward position, and it was ok.*

We decided to take it for a quick spin around near the boat ramp to see how it went.*

We cruised out of the 5 knot zone and i tried to give it a bit more throttle. The engine couldnt get the revs up at all. At full throttle, the engine was prob only working about 25% of max revs.*

We pulled up and i cut the engine to make a quick phone call to a mate. Anyways, after about a minute (he didnt answer) i restarted the engine and put it into forward gear. i pushed the throttle down and away we went!!!!! this engine was running absolutely beautiful! We got it up to full speed no probs.

Anyways, we went fishing to some of our normal spots and the engine ran well all day, until we were on our way back.

we were about 8nm from the boat ramp. and heading back in calm water no probs at all. I had to drop back to quater throttle to give way to a couple of yaughts . When i went to throttle back up, it just spluttered and almost stalled. I checked the fuel, it was fine. i put in neutral, and tried to rev the engine and it sounded like it was only firing on 1 cylinder once it was just above idle.*

i switched the engine off and got my bro to pull leads of plug and put back on. Started engine no probs and tested the throttle. Reved up fine. Got back to idle and tried again, no good!

Tried the plugas again, same problem. Revs right up first time and then won go past idle.

we limped back to the ramp with a favourable incoming tide!

The engine idles no probs and starts without a problem. When i try and get the revs up, it splutters and sounds like its only firing one cylinder

what is wrong with my engine?

check the compression and check for a fire that will jump 7/16 of an inch....these are always first check with a problem...if these are ok then use an inductive timing light to see if its a fire problem or fuel...i would run the engine as little as possible til its fixed so as not to blow a piston from lack of lubrication....the decision that needs to be made if compression is ok is whether you have a fuel or fire problem...

Back