Logo

Yamaha F50 issues

element303

Good day everyone. I have issues with a used F50 I bought. I replaced impeller, since it was burned out in the case. At first I didnt get any water stream but after pushing compressed air into the exit hose, I got cooling flow, although it was quite warm. Might be normal, not sure.

Anyways, the engine would start and idle, although idle was a bit unstable. I ran it for about 3 min and then it just turned off. since then, whenever I turn it on, it will fire right up and then turn off after about 3 seconds, especially when I open the throttle by hand it seems to die. For me it seems like a fuel issue but it cuts of quite fast so I'm not sure if its some sort of limp mode / safety cut off if there is such a thing. This is my first 4 stroke with FI. So what I found was the fuel line to the electric fuel pump was lose and it was leaking and sucking air from there but I fixed that and the problem remains.

Oil and oil filter is new as well.

What else could cause the engine to start perfectly, idle and then die within 2-3 seconds? Thank you!!

Perhaps do a compression test first.----Post the numbers.-----And hook up a timing light and see if spark is lost after 3 seconds.

It seems to be a fuel issue. The only thing I found since posting it it a crack in the fuel filter where is mounts to the engine but I am not sure if thats enough to make it turn off. Why do you think I should check compression? timing light is a good idea. Will try that.

On a used motor a compression test is a good idea , if only for future reference.-----Folks rarely trade in a faithful motor I think.----Good luck with it.

To help determine if it is a fuel related problem or not install a fuel pressure gauge to monitor the fuel pressure. Fuel pressure should rise with the key on. Once the motor is started there should continue to be fuel pressure but it won't be quite as high as it was when the key was first turned on.

Would be helpful to know the complete model of the motor and the year of production.

Back