Logo

Yamaha F40 lose electrical power - another mystery problem

tvomosswood

Hi,

I have a 13 foot RIB with a Yamaha f40 engine, the engine would raise up and down but as soon as I turned the ignition key, everything would go dead and the electrical power to the outboard is lost. There seems to be a clicking sound coming from the engine when I try to raise/lower the engine. I have to physicall lift both Hot and Negative on the battery to get power back on the outboard to be able to raise or lower the outboard. Then it is working fine until I stick my key in and try to start the engine

The history on this outboard is once in awhile I would loose electrical power on the engine when I am in the middle of raising or lowering the outboard usually at the top end.

But the electrical power lost is usually short lived and everything start working again in a little while. My jiggling the connections and wiring to see if anything is amiss usually do nothing. Very frustrating since this is an intermittent problem that seems to solve itself, meaning a loose wire that maybe grounding somewhere.

Another note is the ignition key switch sometimes is making a buzzing whine and I have to jiggle the key to have the buzz stop. This seems to point to the ignition switch being the culprit?

I am thinking of checking all wiring and reconnecting the ground wire and checking the fuses? Anything else I should be doing? I looked at the control box and see no obvious way to get to the ignition switch, do I need to take the whole control box off and maybe there are screws in the back that I need to remove to open up the replace the ignition switch??

Thanks in advance for any helpful tips. - Tim

Back