Logo

Yamaha 90 sho vmax hours

BloodTastic

So I bought a 2021 g3 with a yamaha 90 sho. I had the hours checked when i went to get it and come to find out it has 4.4 hrs!!! here is my concern. When he was showing me reverse and forward and stuff the highest rpms "according to his computer" was 2k which was when he showed me... I know the first hour was supposed to be revved different speeds up to 2k rpms. next hour floor it till plane, let off and ride plane... etc... im worried it wasn't broke in right and this will be effected... should i be?

I think modern motors are made with computer controlled machines.----Parts are accurately inspected / measured.-----Just run this motor.----Break in like done in the 1940's and 50' is not needed.

You're really going to like that motor. I recently purchased a 2021 115 SHO with 77 hours on a S21' Bennington pontoon and its a beast. I get 31 mph with full fuel, gear and two people turning a 4 blade 15" pitch prop. Not bad for a barge! Makes excellent power, sips fuel, loaded with new tech and 377# this motor compares well to a 2 stroke for weight and power. So your 90 SHO on a G-3 should fly. Did you get the Yamaha gages with it? All the engine info at your fingertips.

You're really going to like that motor. I recently purchased a 2021 115 SHO with 77 hours on a S21' Bennington pontoon and its a beast. I get 31 mph with full fuel, gear and two people turning a 4 blade 15" pitch prop. Not bad for a barge! Makes excellent power, sips fuel, loaded with new tech and 377# this motor compares well to a 2 stroke for weight and power. So your 90 SHO on a G-3 should fly. Did you get the Yamaha gages with it? All the engine info at your fingertips.

Only gauges i have is speed and rpm. im adding an outer hour meter... im just so concerned with that break in crap. I have heard they are great engines!

I think modern motors are made with computer controlled machines.----Parts are accurately inspected / measured.-----Just run this motor.----Break in like done in the 1940's and 50' is not needed.

I thought about that as well... we have came so far in this world with electronics and stuff im just paranoid as this is a big thing for me! First big boy boat ive bought... one of the most expensive purchases other then my house

I thought about that as well... we have came so far in this world with electronics and stuff im just paranoid as this is a big thing for me! First big boy boat ive bought... one of the most expensive purchases other then my house
Well there's no harm in breaking it in all over again if it makes you feel better. Since it is obvious that this engine has sat a lot you may want to consider changing the oil and filter at a minimum after you repeat the break in, change the gear oil and run it normally for the next 100 hours and then do the full service on it.

Well there's no harm in breaking it in all over again if it makes you feel better. Since it is obvious that this engine has sat a lot you may want to consider changing the oil and filter at a minimum after you repeat the break in, change the gear oil and run it normally for the next 100 hours and then do the full service on it.

The whole point of breaking it in is supposed to seat seals and orings... once sat, they don't re-seat sadly.

Back