Logo

Yamaha 9.9 won't start- shift cable?

LopezIsland

I recently got a 2007 Yamaha 9.9 on my sailboat. Started fine when I bought it and for three or four times. Shifting lever for N/R/F is on the handle. Seemed a little sticky than previous but went into N okay. Took it out for first time, had to put in reverse quickly and then F. After that, the motor died suddenly (could be a gas hose connection issue-had this on the previous motor). Anyway, once it died after the reversing and forwarding action, it WILL not even try to start. Nothing when start button is pushed.
Shift lever must be in neutral to start. Lever moves to all three positions, but can't tell if it's actually DOING anything. Checked the electrical connection at the motor. Getting electricity to the two connector bolts.
Does this sound like the shift cable broke, too loose or not engaging so that neutral can be engaged? The motor is in excellent shape physically with low hours. It is 10 years old though...
Any advice about this is greatly appreciated. Any ideas about the cost of repair would be appreciated, though I'm really worried it's going to be horrible, given that I just paid good money for the used motor. Thanks!

Back