Logo

Yamaha 40hp 2 strok drama

ruddmj

Hey I have and older 40 marathon 2 stork outboard.

Model numbr is W40ML 360349.

I recently hit a rock while trying to get out of some swell while out fishing. After hitting the rock I lost all gearing. No forward or reverse. It revs in both however. When turned off and put into fwd. If I spin the prop clockwise it clicks every half rotation. Inside the lower unit it looks like the splines are clicking off each other. I have been told that this is simply the propellor bushing (the sheer pin in smaller models).

When in gear. I can click it clockwise while in fwd. And cannot move it anti clockwise. If that helps at all.

does this sound like the case to any of you? or could it be something bigger.

Cheers.
matt

Last edited:
So if the motor is running and you put it in gear the prop (and propshaft) doesn't spin at all or just the prop is not spinning?

So YES, it sounds (initially) like the prop hub did it's job and toasted itself to protect the lower unit.

If you have a spare prop, try that...

I put it in gear and the prop spins one way and clicks the other. But say if I put an oar in the way while its reving it will stop. The same is in reverse (but it spins the opp way)

I sent the prop into a shop and they told me the hub kits are rare for an engine this old. It's going to cost 150 for a newy. From what they can see it doesn't look too bad though.

Before the incident it used to kind of crunch when it went into gear. Afterwards it just clicks in effortlessly. Any other help would be great

Thanks Galamb. I am trying to sorce a prop out at the moment. But hard living on an island in the middle of nowhere though.

cheers

Ok, initially the "spins one way clicks the other" is normal and would say that the gears are working as they should.

The "crunch" going into gear is often heard if the motor is "granny shifted" - the gears grind their way into sync if you shift too slowly - you really got to slam an outboard into gear - if you baby it the teeth will wear down quickly.

Your observation of putting an oar in the way to stop the prop (I personally wouldn't try that at home) still lacks some information.

You say it stops the prop but what about the propshaft?

Is the prop spinning on it's hub or does "everything" stop dead including the propshaft.

If the propshaft stops dead as well then you have either clutch or gear issues (or both).

Back