Logo

Yamaha 40 HP 1991 short - Forward gear is sticking

Robero

Hi,

My Yamaha has got this issue which is really annoying and makes the boat hard to drive. I have tried to fix this issue for long and tried to change a lot parts and adjust everything.
The forward gear is sticking on when in water. When i change from control box forward -> neutral it still remains in forward and after some delay it "clicks" to neutral.There is no problem with reverse -> neutral, only forward issue. I have change and adjusted following parts:

Control Box 703
Cables 2 x
adjusted the shifter part on engine side and control box
Removed power head and inspected the parts below where the shift shaft connects
Tried another lower unit
Propellers

I have a video that i recorded yesterday of this problem and the link is here:
https://youtu.be/ubsm_R0zRQc

Have you actually taken video with the cowling off and focused on what the linkage is actually doing? Do you have an excessive loop in the cables? Too thick of grease in the linkage? I never seen a "lazy" shift like that before. With the cables disconnected, can you shift the linkage by hand and see if it delay's like it does?

Have you actually taken video with the cowling off and focused on what the linkage is actually doing? Do you have an excessive loop in the cables? Too thick of grease in the linkage? I never seen a "lazy" shift like that before. With the cables disconnected, can you shift the linkage by hand and see if it delay's like it does?
With the cables disconnected there is some force that does not allow to be pushed backwards into neutral, until it does relief and click back in place. The delay comes from the cable end that tries to push back and then it moves backwards as it reliefs and the shift linkage moves downwards. So without cable its abit painful to keep pushing until it goes to neutral.

There is no more grease then in our households other Yamaha which works fine. Only place which is greased is the part under powerhead where the shifter rod ends and connects to the vertical "rod", which is connected to the cable end. This part iv now started to think about that can be one problem but nothing visible to my eyes..
Cable is very well fitted and the length is fine, I have also tried with other "longer" cable, witch still did not loop extra.
I even inspected the shift-rod as i removed the powerhead and the rod is in fine condition (not bent.)

The shift rod ends in the lower unit with a shift ramp that is angled to actuate movement of the clutch dog .Excess wear on ramp will not allow dog to engage. The screw located between drain and vent screw limits movement of the shift shaft. Remove screw and the 10 mm bolt in front of water pump which holds plastic tube against the seal and shift shaft comes right out. Easy reassembly after inspection.

Back