Logo

YAMAHA 1987 2-stroke outboard - IMPELLER WON'T PUMP water (tried almost everything)

handwedge

Hi guys -- I have a Yamaha 1987 2 stroke 6hp outboard (Serial 6SH-011172). I see a little pee hole (tell tale) where water should exit, but when I run the engine, nothing comes out. I recently purchased this used and i believe it sat for a while. Changed plugs, fogged it, new gas etc. I took off the lower unit and put in a new impeller and gasket. No water exiting pee hole on start up. Ran it for a few mins.

I tested the lower unit by removing it again, submerging it in a bucket and attaching my drill on the shaft (spinning it clockwise in neutral). I can see the impeller spinning but NO WATER up through the hole in the pump. I ran a wire from below the pump gasket down to the intakes (could see the wire through the intake holes), so there is definitely an open pathway for water.
I'm pretty stumped. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

THANKS GUYS.
IMG_8484 2.jpgIMG_8485.jpg

When you are testing , the water in your bucket MUST be 8" above the impeller !

Thanks for this! I don't think I had it quite that deep. Is that what it requires to prime it? I only ask because once the boat is operating on the lake, the impeller won't always be 8" under. Thanks again!

When you are testing in a bucket water MUST be above the impeller to prime it.----A boat underway is totally different.

When you are testing , the water in your bucket MUST be 8" above the impeller !

UPDATE - You were absolutely right -- once I lowered the engine and made sure the water level was 8" above where the impeller would be, it started pumping! Appreciate all the feedback. Thanks folks.

Back