Logo

Yam v4 130hp no spark

electroryan

Yamaha v4 130hp

I bought a motor to put on my boat but stupidly never saw it running first ( as guy was moving house)
Installed on my boat. As i put power to it , it sparked at gauges. turned out the baullet conectors on gauge were cut off and bare wires touched. I have no spark. Thought i may have blown CDI but since i didnt see the outboard had spark first i dont have a reference .
Went through service manual...
Tested pulser coil output - Volts within spec
Tested Charge coil output - Volts within spec
Tested rectifier and fine. has power to it as well.
disconnected the kill switch at the remote.
At CDI on 9 pin connector there is 12v between yellow to black.
No output from CDI to coils.
Assumed this meant there is power to cdi so it must be faulty.
Got another CDI from a outboard dismantler but i still have the same problem.
Is there a way to bench test CDIs, Obvously since the 2nd cdi is 2nd hand theres no way to insure it is in working contion.
If i were to directly power 12v into the yellow wire on the 9 pin connector , would that work to test or does it need the other connections to oil pump control etc.

Thanks heaps

Attachments

• axscasc.JPG
    axscasc.JPG
    36.7 KB · Views: 6
  • sccc.jpg
    sccc.jpg
    246.2 KB · Views: 9
Be very careful with 12 volts around that ignition system.-----Putting 12 volts in the wrong places may lead to expensive smoke.----I doubt that 12 volts is needed in there.

Battery power is battery power. If you have battery voltage on the yellow wire to the CDI box then you have battery power to the CDI box. Assumption being that the yellow wire into the CDI box is in good working order.

Whether from key switch (normal) or directly from the battery, the difference is mox nix.

Back