Logo

Won't start when hot

art.kendall

I have a Honda BF60 AKLRT. When I run it for 20-30 minutes and turn it off for 30-60 minutes, sometimes it won't re-start. It cranks, but no coughing and no start. After a while (maybe an hour or so) it will start and run fine. Replaced the kill switch, but still have the problem. Suggestions???

Hi Art,
I had hoped someone else would have answered you by now. That's a really wierd problem and I have only heard of something similar one other time (the BF 150 thread you posted to). As you may know I suggested that he check his fuel cooler but he hasn't posted any findings as yet.
He threw a lot of parts at it and states it does have spark but is still having the issue.

I'll ask you the same questions I asked him....

Will it run ok for an extended period of time?

No signs of overheating?

No alarms or warning lights?

What happens if you shut it off then try to restart after say 3 to five minutes?

I would say that you probably need to determine what's missing when it won't fire up...
....fuel or spark....to try to figure this out but I have no solution to offer.

Wishing you luck and I hope one of the smart kids here will chime in with ideas.

Good luck.

One thing I should also have asked is if you have tried pumping the primer bulb when it won't start. I know that you likely have but I just wanted to cover that base.

Often times a solution turns out to be something stooped simple so check the fuel tank, hoses, vent and pickup tube. Run it on a different tank and hose set if at all possible.

Sorry, I know this is very frustrating.

One thing I should also have asked is if you have tried pumping the primer bulb when it won't start. I know that you likely have but I just wanted to cover that base.

Often times a solution turns out to be something stooped simple so check the fuel tank, hoses, vent and pickup tube. Run it on a different tank and hose set if at all possible.

Sorry, I know this is very frustrating.
Thanks for your message. I will have my mechanic check for spark, if it has spark I will go on to check fuel system. I have pumped the fuel bulb, no luck. It runs just fine for 30 minutes or so when I first start it, but then when I stop it for a few minutes and try to restart it just cranks. Doesn't happen all the time.

Ok,

Well, if it has spark while it won't start then my best guess is still a possible vapor lock situation that will likely involve a fuel cooler or water circulation problem. But it's JUST a guess.

Good luck.

Back