Logo

Won't go in gear right after having bearing carrier and output shaft pulled.

Hotrodmont

Hey guys, I recently pulled the bearing carrier and output shaft to replace seals and oring on the bearing carrier. When I put it back together it doesn't catch reverse at all and struggles to catch forward. I can't seem to come up with any new ideas to try. So I'm asking for your help. It is an 84 mariner 80hp. The cam follower appears to be going in its place and the spring appears to be strong and everything was working fine before I messed it up.
Thanks for any tips.

Just to change seals and o rings. Only the carrier should have come out. When you removed the prop shaft. Did you notice any small ball bearings in the process. Most likely if the shift pin fell out. The ball bearings may have fallen out. And they would be sitting on your gears. ..

Last edited:
Just to change seals and o rings. Only the carrier should have come out. When you removed the prop shaft. Did you notice any small ball bearings in the process. Most likely if the shift pin fell out. The ball bearings may have fallen out. And they would be sitting on your gears. ..

Yes that was my bad pulling the whole shaft. I don't remember seeing any ball bearings. I did some some needle bearings that looked good. I'll go pull it again and look.

Back