Logo

wish to fish - engine prob

oysterhoister

But I can't, because I'm having trouble getting the flywheel back on my pull start 1999 Johnson 40hp JRLEEA without it hitting my ignition pieces and messing up the movement of throttle and timing linkage. I replaced the stator with one purchased here. When I put the flywheel back on it interfered with the linkage so that it wouldn't move freely from idle to WOT. I disconnected the timing cam rod eliminating the linkage and it was still did not move freely. Since I can't see under the flywheel I can only assume that it's magnets are rubbing or running into something. I put the old stator back in and the problem didn't go away. I take the stator out completely and no problem. Wire seem to be flat on the ignition plate and routed under that retainer thing laying flat. I have the manual, it was clean when I started, now it's covered with grease because I've referred to it so often. I've checked the exploded views here, looking for that missing piece, but it looks like I have everything I'm suppose to. It's obvious to me I'm overlooking something but I'm stuck. Probably have 12 hours or more into this thing.

Has anyone had a similar experience or knowledge on what may be going on? If so, I'd sure appreciate your thoughts.

Dan

Normally, (thinking of older models) anything bolted to that plate has a set clearance between the component and the flywheel. If this holds true on your model, look at whatever you've replaced..... if you see a slight bevel on the plate seating surface where the component would seat, the vertical edge of the component would need to be aligned with the top inside portion of that bevel, otherwise it stands a chance of hiotting the flywheel.

This may not pertain to your engine but it's worth knowing.

Take some chaulk for a carpenters chalkbox,Its red powder put it on the underside of the flywheel,shake the loose stuff off,Install the flywheel turn it and remove the flywheel.That will give a look at where the red chaulk is removed and a idea where or what is rubbing

Back