Logo

Wiring Question

OleJohnson

[FONT=&quot]Model #115ESL70D is a 1970 115hp Johnson. I need to add a lanyard style kill switch near the key start switch, that will shut down the motor if I fall out of the boat. can anyone help me on this?[/FONT]Wiring 1969_70 115hp  Selectric verified fr.jpg

to clarify -I have a new universal kill switch, it has both open and closed options depending on the connectors I choose. I need to safely add it with the above wiring diagram.
Do I need to open one wire? or close two wires together to kill the motor safely?

I am guess I need to install it on the red and purple ignition wire so it opens/breaks the connection?

Identify the purple wire leading to the ignition switch from the motor cable. Disconnect it from the ignition switch and connect it to one side of the kill switch. Connect the other side of the kill switch to the ignition switch where you disconnected the purple wire. In simpler terms, the kill switch goes in series with the purple wire.

Identify the purple wire leading to the ignition switch from the motor cable. Disconnect it from the ignition switch and connect it to one side of the kill switch. Connect the other side of the kill switch to the ignition switch where you disconnected the purple wire. In simpler terms, the kill switch goes in series with the purple wire.

Please confirm the location of the kill switch I have added to the wiring diagram.
I just want to make sure.

Thank you

KILL SWITCH 1969_70 115hp JOHNSON .jpg

Identity which terminals on your kill switch are closed
when the lanyard is attached and open when the lanyard is yanked off. Now connect those exactly as I described, one to the purple motor wire and the other to the key switch where you removed the purple wire. It will work if connected right

I connected it exactly as you said - I removed the purple wire from the ignition switch coming from the motor, I cut off the eye and soldered on a 15" long wire and heat shrink the solder connection. I made a second 15" wire with a new eye soldered it and shrink also. both theses wires now run out of my control box where the throttle cables come out, each wire has a soldered blade connector and are connected to the new kill switch. with lanyard connected wires are connected through kill switch. when I pull the lanyard and break the connection of the purple wire to the Ignition switch nothing happens = the motor continues to run.

I connected it exactly as you said - I removed the purple wire from the ignition switch coming from the motor, I cut off the eye and soldered on a 15" long wire and heat shrink the solder connection. I made a second 15" wire with a new eye soldered it and shrink also ( and connected it to the ignition switch in the same location). both these wires now run out of my control box where the throttle cables come out, each wire has a soldered blade connector and are connected to the new kill switch. with lanyard connected wires are connected through kill switch. when I pull the lanyard and break the connection of the purple wire to the Ignition switch nothing happens = the motor continues to run

yes the key turns off the motor, I plan to open back up the control unit tomorrow and will take a pick of the ignition switch and wiring .
one thing - this wiring diagram shows 3 poles on the ignition switch and I think mine has 4?
if I may ask - when the key turns off the motor, are we cutting power to something? or are we grounding out something.
I am asking because I think the fourth pole is a ground with a wire that is grounded to the control box?

I need to confirm that and will in the morning.

I just opened the control box, and removed the switch from the housing with wires connected. it is only 3 poles, (the Ignition pole has two connectors )
anyway I just started the motor and then started removing wires with the motor running.
the Battery wire red and purple killed the motor as soon as I started to loosen the screw.
I did not try the start (white wire). none of the wires going to the ignition pole would kill the motor when removed?
I am wondering if the wiring is correct at the motor? another words - the purple wire you thought should kill the motor is linked to the ignition safety circuit and the therm switch?
I have attached the diagram showing where I installed the kill switch that worked for my ignition.

Thank you for trying to help

KILL SWITCH 1969_70 115hp JOHNSON .jpg

Well sure, that would work by killing everything, but installing it in the purple wire would kill only the ignition circuit. I don't know what kind of wiring error prevents it from working as intended. I'd have to study it a bit more, but offhand, I think doing it your way will defeat the purpose of the blocking diode. But that's another topic.

Back