Logo

Winterization

eggharborrick

Contributing Member
i ran several gallons of the p

i ran several gallons of the pink rv antifreeze through each engine till it came out the exhaust. drained the intake strainers and poured a little in the ball valve.should i remove the brass drain plugs in the risers and sea pumps also or you think they will be good.jersey coast winter. 270 crusaders.

"As long as pink came out the

"As long as pink came out the exhaust, you should be fine.
Did you run fuel stabilizer through the engine? If not, sorry to say, gotta repeat the process."

"Dunno, Rich.... I do not put

"Dunno, Rich.... I do not put the stabilzer through my engines (1993-350CID). I do note that a lot of individuals do that, (stabilizer thru the engine), based on postings here but all I do is spin off the fuel filters in the spring, dump the "old" gas out and put "new" gas in a "new" filter.

Never had a problem as there is only about 3 feet of line from the tank to the filter and 3 feet from the filter to the carb.......and...well...maybe I have never had any problems cause ....we have better gas up here
happy.gif
"

"Don; I think everyone has a d

"Don; I think everyone has a different idea as to how fast fuel breaks down and starts to varnish, the two reasons i have always used fuel stabilizers are first I think that it does help keep the fuel in its best state in the tank and second I have always thought that because the jets and passages in a carb. or the orifice in a fuel injector is so small that any build up of destabilized fuel could hamper the performance."

"Yeh, good points Phil.... I d

"Yeh, good points Phil.... I do put stabilizer in the tanks but normally after the engines are winterized.

Now the carb is a different story, I do fog the engines almost to the "stall" point when running in the antifreeze and in the Spring I do give a short blast of "carb cleaner" when they start up.

I never really thought too much about the jets but I think you have a valid point...I just wonder how much stuff would build up in a 6 month period.......maybe next year I will run stabilizer but so far.......I have never had any problems...but then again... I do not have fuel injected engines..

Food for thought"

"It is always a good idea to r

"It is always a good idea to run stabilized fuel thru the system at winterization. I've found the fuel in the carb bowls will evaporate in a week or two. I'm sure there will be residual fuel left inside, somewhere, so the stabilizer can only help.

If you introduced the pink stuff 'upstream' of the strainers and pumps, you didn't have to drain it."

i actually took my carbs off t

i actually took my carbs off to get rebuilt by the guy in ohio and drained my fuel tanks dry. i did fog it before that though.i was more concerned with whether or not to drain the risers and the raw water pumps.

Back