Logo

Why does my 4.3 L engine have water in crankcase and all 6 cylinders?

rrickett

Engine had run off and on all day but was shut down to load boat on trailer. Would not start. Starter was pulled and found to have broken brush spring so was replaced. New starter would not turn engine over. Removed plugs and water ran out of all 6 cylinders. Checked oil and found excessive level. Pumped about a quart of water out of crankcase. Checked compression at 165psi +/- 5 psi on all 6. Engine probably has about 200 hours on it. What should I check next?

Ayuh,...... Drain the water passages, isolate the block, 'n pressurize with air, 'bout 15 psi, then follow the sound to the leak,....

If you're in a location that sees below-freezing temperatures during Winter, it may not have been Winterized correctly- these engines have a plug at the front of the intake manifold that needs to come out if draining the water to prevent freezing. If it has a heat exchanger, is the coolant up to par WRT freeze point? If not, you probably have a cracked block/intake manifold/exhaust manifold.

The plug at the front of the intake manifold requires a square or 8 point socket to remove and it's recessed, so it will help if you use a wobble extension. I bought my socket at NAPA, but it's available elsewhere.

I don't remember the size- might be 9/16" or 5/8", but I can post that later.

Back