Logo

White smoke from exhaust of port 318

RosieB12

Okay, guys, I'm back. Went out on my first river cruise this afternoon. Both 318's running smooth & sound great. However... there's lots (it seems to me) of white smoke coming from the port side engine and none from the starboard side. I decided not to run up past 2m RPM's and stayed out only half an hour. Engine idles fine and is running cool - below 140. It is a little harder starting than the stbd engine that seems to kick over instantly. Port engine took about 4 separate cranks, but then caught and seemed fine. Anyone have any ideas about the white smoke? Thanks.

Did you change the raw water pump on that side yet :rolleyes:. That is the fun one...remember. The smoke you are getting is steam (we hope it's not oil) because the pump is not pulling enough volume of water across the exhaust for cooling. Hot exhaust will not show on engine temp. but the logs will be HOT to the touch...and they shouldn't be very hot.

Your first step is to change that pump. If the pump has come apart, you will need to back flush from the intake bowl using a spray nozzle on your dock hose. Take the hose off at the pump inlet and spray the water in the hole at the bowl. Also take the hoses off at each cooling exhaust log and check for pump parts in there.

Call me anytime. Look in your PM for my phone number.

Last edited:
Thanks, Tundra... Of course I did NOT change the port side RAW impeller yet. I know you told me to, but it seems like a truly AWFUL job. Still, I believe you've hit my problem right on the head, as my wife (go figure) said today, "I think that's steam and not smoke the way it looks and dissipates so fast." I guess I'll keep her, eh? So...I'm going to climb in there around the back side of that port engine and see what I'm up against. I'll update you as soon as I know more. Thanks, partner! Peace...

Of course I did NOT change the port side RAW impeller yet. I know you told me to, but it seems like a truly AWFUL job.

This is for all posters. When advise is given to change a wear part that is critical for proper engine operation, it is important that you do it. We know how difficult some of these services are, we do it everyday. Changing the water pump impeller is a lot easier than replacing your engine.

Amen to that Chris. Thanks for the gentle slap. As Tundra and FastJeff know, I need it in my "formative" years. Peace...

Final update... Tundra's gameplan for my exhaust "smoke" couldn't have been better. This time, I did exactly as he instructed. The port side impeller seemed much easier for me - probably because I'm right handed and had done it recently on the stbd. side. The intake port was heavily clogged with pieces parts from (apparently) a prior disintegrated impeller. The one in place seemed totally undamaged, but I replaced it anyway. The REALLY great advice was backflushing the water line from the RAW pump back to the strainer...where...lo and behold... a whole bunch of crud washed out into the bilge. Had I not done that chore, I likely would have been clogged and steamy again soon. Both engines now running beautifully, cool, and clear. Thanks again to all. Back at you again soon, with another emergency thread I'm sure. Stay tuned, I need ya'll. Peace...

The guys on this and the Marinette forum have helped me out many times...glad we could help you out. You will learn a whole lot by reading forum archives in both forums.

The REALLY great advice was backflushing the water line from the RAW pump back to the strainer

Hopefully you took off the thermostat housing and cleaned all the cooling hoses going to the logs.:rolleyes: If not, do that when you get a chance. Sounds like the engine and logs are running cool...but you may get a problem later if you didn't get all the impeller parts out. The logs will run between 100 deg and 120 deg...you can put your hands on them without burning yourself...Remember to get a IR handheld temp gadget and check around on your engine so you will know when something is not right.

Thanks for updating us with the solution....most just get what they need and never look back until they need something again (human nature...unfortunatly).

Happy days :cool:

This is for all posters. When advise is given to change a wear part that is critical for proper engine operation, it is important that you do it. We know how difficult some of these services are, we do it everyday. Changing the water pump impeller is a lot easier than replacing your engine.
+ 1, and a great suggestion.

Back