Logo

Where to connect kill switch lead on '74 9.9

bigtime_mcalpine

Regular Contributor
May seem like a pretty easy question but apparently not easy enough for me to get right. I attempted to wire my kill switch over the weekend but the darned thing doesn't seem to kill. Does anyone have a pic handy of where the non-ground lead is supposed to connect? Now that I'm writing this I also realized that I'm not sure I tested the switch so I guess I'll be doing that too!

Thank you!

It is not connected to ground. It is connected to the blue and blue-with-white-stripe wires.

Attachments

• Wiring 1974-76 9.9 AND 15 HP Corrected 05-2016.jpg
    Wiring 1974-76 9.9 AND 15 HP Corrected 05-2016.jpg
    218.9 KB · Views: 23
It is not connected to ground. It is connected to the blue and blue-with-white-stripe wires.

Thank you very much for the reply! That confirms that I actually had it wired correctly. I pulled the kill switch off, tested it and go figure, even though it looked relatively new and not beat up, I could only get it to work with multimeter sporadically. Took it apart to find that copper connect was just corroded enough to cause issues. Took some 400grit sandpaper to it and put a thin layer of dielectric grease on both sides and it now works flawlessly.

OK, now that I'm looking at that fancy diagram I'm also realizing that I don't have a ground wire from the regulator bus to the underside of the stator...thing is, I can't quite see where on the stator this wire should connect. Anyone got any pics of this by chance?

Back