Logo

where is the impeller on Merc 260

wish2fish

Regular Contributor
My brother was saying he is having period high temps and I was wondering where the impeller would be on a 1981 Merc MCM 898?

It's in the lower drive assembly. You'll have to take the lower drive unit off your boat. Where the I guess it's called drive shaft is at there is a metal or plastic housing. You'll need to remove those 4 or 6 nuts the impeller is inside there. When you put the new one in it will be a really tight fit and you'll have to turn it in. Make sure you get gaskets for it as well. When you take the lower unit off your boat make sure you have the throttle lever in forward and leave it there.

I apologize, the motor is called a MCM898 not 260 as in the title.

is the water pump in the outdrive?
Can you help me with the correct parts?

Take your info to a merc dealer and they will give you the correct parts.

Even as we who help others have a lot of collective knowledge we are not parts people and most if not all of us do not have direct access to a merc parts cd or there superceeded parts numbers it is not really possible to answer your question.

Some say this site sells parts, you can look here, otherwise YOU need to do some reaserch.....or go to a dealer.
I always go to a dealer just so you know, and have been for the better part of 20 years.........

Good advice from Kghost, I found the water impellor base is different on the older MCM models than the Alpha 1 model and won't fit correctly. make sure you find out which one you need especially if you buy online.

Back