Logo

When to change the fuel filter?

Beagleman

Regular Contributor
Hey guys, the dumb Newfoundland Fisherman here again. As you well know, I got a 40 hp mariner (40 E 6E9 s 104752), 1985 2 cylinder outboard. Basically a copy of those old Yamaha fm series.

I'm wondering when should I change the fuel filter thats close to the engine (you know, the one that bolts to the powerhead that has a to and from hose)? Also, i'm wondering if I use an fuel filter (ones you get from walmart) in conjunction with the regular one, will it hurt or harm anything?

Also, could someone give me a link to buy a fuel filter and fuel pump (along with gaskets) for the cheapest possible site.

All the best.

Robby

Robby, that fuel filter is simply a fine mesh screen to keep cooties (dirt etc) from getting sucked into the carb. It is not a "filter media" type that needs replacing on any sort of regular basis.

Once a season you can unscrew the cup on the filter and inspect the mesh filter. If it's a little dirty etc you can flush it with a bit of fresh gas and then slap her back together.

Be careful that you don't lose the o-ring that seals the cup to the top that's bolted to the powerhead. They have a nasty habit of falling off and hiding whenever you unscrew that cup (lost them many times myself even when I am "conscious" that they "run away").

On most 60 horse and under motors I wouldn't suggest adding any "inline" filter etc if you are running on a portable tank - just restricts the fuel. If you get water or crud in the portable tank it's pretty easy to clean it out (unlike a built in tank which could be a pain).

So yes, do inspect your fuel filter. If the mesh is ripped on the filter itself, if the o-ring is bad/crumbly or if the seal that connects the filter to the cap is toast, drop by your local Merc dealer and pick up what you need (the o-ring and the seal go for under 4 bucks each - if the filter is shot it's about 15 bucks (have never personally seen a bad filter)) - have lost plenty of o-rings and keep a few spares on hand - they fit quite a few models...

Robby, that fuel filter is simply a fine mesh screen to keep cooties (dirt etc) from getting sucked into the carb. It is not a "filter media" type that needs replacing on any sort of regular basis.

Once a season you can unscrew the cup on the filter and inspect the mesh filter. If it's a little dirty etc you can flush it with a bit of fresh gas and then slap her back together.

Be careful that you don't lose the o-ring that seals the cup to the top that's bolted to the powerhead. They have a nasty habit of falling off and hiding whenever you unscrew that cup (lost them many times myself even when I am "conscious" that they "run away").

On most 60 horse and under motors I wouldn't suggest adding any "inline" filter etc if you are running on a portable tank - just restricts the fuel. If you get water or crud in the portable tank it's pretty easy to clean it out (unlike a built in tank which could be a pain).

So yes, do inspect your fuel filter. If the mesh is ripped on the filter itself, if the o-ring is bad/crumbly or if the seal that connects the filter to the cap is toast, drop by your local Merc dealer and pick up what you need (the o-ring and the seal go for under 4 bucks each - if the filter is shot it's about 15 bucks (have never personally seen a bad filter)) - have lost plenty of o-rings and keep a few spares on hand - they fit quite a few models...

Thanks for your help graham.

Robby

You should change out or at least clean the one on the powerhead every other season. As far as a fuel filter (spin on type that you're talking about,) yes, those are always a good idea considering how lousy the fuel is today. Mercury makes a kit that comes with the bracket, the nipples, and the water separating filter. I've installed a million of them and they work nicely.

Back