Logo

when should i replace my steering cable?

joed9988

so i have a 1988 bass boat i got a few years back this is really my frist boat and ive always found that turning it was kinda tough but i also have nothing to base it on. it turns tho but is there a test or rule of thumb on steering the boat? i really have nothing to compare it to mabey its just supposed to be a lil stiff

Read up on your motor and it will tell you where grease fittings are. The motor itself will have grease fittings and you need to coat the center part of the cable that slides out with grease also.

As Salty says, read the manual. Years ago I had a cable steered 115 hp Merc. The manual was very specific about greasing with the steering g in a certain position. IIRC, it was to prevent hydraulic lock.

I have seen a few where the cable needed to be removed and then crud in the tube removed with bore brush... if you disconnect the link and the motor will freely swing from one stop to the other, the issue is with the cable or head...if the motor will not swing freely, the pivot bushings most likely were not greased regularly..

yeah i disconnected the arm and the motor moved pretty freely i watch a video from a dude on youtube dangar marine and it explained the trouble shooting on it. i couldnt get the rod part out i didnt have the clearance i think i would have to move the motor to the left on the transom or worse lift it out completely to be able to get the rod part out so i could clean the pipe and bore it out so i kinda just spray wd 40 inside and moved it around repeatedly and i think i got a good amount of gunk out then i re greased it and put it back together. feels alot better then it did still feels a lil stiff i know its not powering steering so i dont think its gonna get much better but like i said i have nothing to compare it too.

Back