Logo

When moreso Where to check oil level

hookyplank

"I've heard from a few fel

"I've heard from a few fellow boatmen that it is best to check your oil level while afloat in the water. This is to get a more accurate reading. Can anyone verify this statement? It makes sense in some ways. When your boat is trailered, there are just too many variables as to the level of your boat. (ie. tongue height, etc.)"

"Not a good idea in my opinion

"Not a good idea in my opinion - motor is not likely to be level while sitting in the water. Besides, you are likely to get drips of oil in bilge or overboard. If you want to be that precise, better to put a level on the engine, adjust your trailer angle until the motor is level, then mark the proper height on your jack stand."

"I would advise just the oppos

"I would advise just the opposite of WD. You want the engine to be "full" when you are running it. Depending on the make and model of the boat and motor the angle will change. You want the oil pump pickup covered with oil at all times. You want the appropriate amount of "splash" effect of the crank into the oil pan without foaming.

Assuming you are talking about a name brand engine and boat manufacturer, the full mark on the dipstick should be calibrated to be full in the engine under OPERATING CONDITIONS, that is, in the water.

Some engine manufacturers state that you set the full mark on the dipstick when the engine is installed and sitting in its "use" position with a particular amount of oil installed. For example the Lehman diesel in my boat gets 12 quarts of oil and then the dipstick is marked where the oil level is on the dipstick with that amount oil in the engine. At least thats what the owners/installation manual says to do. Installed in my boat, the engine is far from level.

K"

"Put in the manufacturers reco

"Put in the manufacturers recommended amount of oil, check and mark (if required) dip stick for both on trailer and in water. Fill to those marks as required. I honestly don't think you have to be pulling out a level to check your oil level...ever see a mechanic jacking up a car to absolute level to check the oil?"

Back