Logo

What to do with engine that sits

kelly505

I have a pair of Marine Power 454 TBI in my boat. I rebuilt one engine recently but the other engine has been sitting (it ran well when we pulled th boat) but I did not properly store the engine when I pulled the boat two years.

I am preparing to re-install the other engine and it seems foolish not to rebuild the other engine but I would hate to do alot of work if there is way to determine if the good engine is still good?

Any thoughts?

"still good?".... guess the short response is the storage procedure needs to be reapplied annually, unless your products' labels show something different.

One way to assess the engine's "health" is to give it a good visual inspection, especially inside the cylinders. If they are full of 'thick' rust, time to get the engine stand out. If not all orange, I'd reprime the oiling system and see if it runs. A leakdown test would also be informative.

Beware, if the fuel was NOT treated, you may have a rather large mess in your fuel tank. I'd get that inspected, too, BEFORE trying to use any of its contents.

Back