Logo

What size filter and where?

briang0

Regular Contributor
I noticed that my water/fuel separator is 10 micron. I have a 1983 305 with a Thunderbolt 4 electronic ignition. On my old boat which had an old old old BB Chevy the guys on the Crusader forum recommended not to put a 10 micron there but to put something a little larger in the 30 micron range. I did not put this filter there it was there from the previous owner. This is a Mercruiser but still a Chevy engine so but I don't know they might have different requirements. Should I pull the 10 micron out and put in a little larger one there? I have been working on possible fuel problems and trying to cover all the bases.

The 10 micron will catch smaller particulates, yet will flow adequately if you change it on a regular basis.

Check your anti-siphon valve to make sure that it too flows properly.
Pull the fuel tank pick up tube, and examine the screen.

If you're concern is water, install a Parker RACOR true water separating filter system.
With the known adapter thread size/pitch, the RACOR can be retro-fitted to your existing filter base.

The tank is under the floor. I have 2 covers to look at the tank. I was a little concerned about trying to remove the pickup tube from the tank. I was afraid to break it or mess it up forcing me to have to replace the tank. If I do remove the tube I'm going to pull the screen from it.

Ok now I'm a little confused. I pulled the shutoff and what I thought was anti siphon valve off. It turns out that the the fuel line does not have an anti siphon valve in it. Then I went and pulled the fuel pickup tube out what I found was that the fitting came off but the tube is welded into the tank. The fitting that the shut off screws into just screws down on top of it. I'm not sure who did it but there is no way I can or want to attempt to try to put anything down there to pull on it. I remember when I was replacing the fuel sender that I saw a tube running towards the back of the tank. I'm wonder is the fuel draw pipe may be extended because the fuel will move towards the back of the tank when the boat is under way. Just a thought. This tank looks original from the markings on it and the plate on it. I cleaned it up and the date on it is 1983 which is the date of the boat.

Hello guys..size of the filter is depend upon the motor..make certain the air narrow you select suits the needs of your family in accordance with the stage of filtering system desired

Hello guys..size of the filter is depend upon the motor..make certain the air narrow you select suits the needs of your family in accordance with the stage of filtering system desired

Ayuh,.... Agreed,... I believe the 10 micrn units came out After the Efi's showed up,...

the ole Carbed filters were 25 micron,...

Even though I'm runnin' a carb,..
I run the 10 micron units, 'n change it every year, or at Any sign of fuel restriction,...

As for Where to put it,... Anywhere 'tween the tank, 'n fuel pump works as designed,...

Back