Logo

What scanner tool for Merc 8.1 496 HO 425 HP?

BillZ

What scanner tool would I be looking for to diag my Merc 8.1 496 HO 425 HP? installed new in end of 2007 but not sure year of engine (top cover has no SN on it so still looking for SN elsewhere) And would my engine automatically have the hook up for this or do I need to be sure of that first.. what would I be looking for.

Thanks

it looked like it was written on the engine cover but erased??? dont have receipt... trying to get it from last owner... should it not have a metal plate with it on it somewhere... told it was installed new end of 2007.. looks brand new.

please tell me you mean just one of those. which one? the mercruiser scan tool? Diacom marine? either one,,, not both I hope... the $40 codemate.. that would be wishful thinking I guess otherwise everyone would get one.

please tell me you mean just one of those. which one? the mercruiser scan tool? Diacom marine? either one,,, not both I hope... the $40 codemate.. that would be wishful thinking I guess otherwise everyone would get one.
LOL, you can't get that lucky with boat stuff with what is going on with your boat.:p J/K

You will want the MerCruiser Scan Tool
Developed in conjunction with MerCruiser engineers, this self-contained diagnostic tool displays complete EFI system information allowing you to quickly pinpoint engine related problems. The tool performs a complete range of EFI system tests and also contains a built-in programmable fuel injector tester. This tool is the choice of MerCruiser and independent marine dealers worldwide.

They are just under $400.00, Check ebay for a better price sometimes.

With the problems your having, you might be better off having a mercruiser shop find the problem for you, Then decide if you can fix it, or if they should.

Try asking for a one hour diagnosis test, It may save you some money in the long run with this one. Just a thought.;)

Good luck with it.:)

Appreciate the help. the thought behind buying the scan tool was to split with a few fellow boaters. I was able to get some manuals for this engine and the merc manual for the diagnostic scan which say to use this tool from that seller. biggest problem im having is getting someone, anyone, to return a call. will price out the test as advised... if its even half price of tool I will probably buy it. have always preferred to do work myself and own the tools... have changed oil pumps, water pumps, trannys and so on in cars.. all i have been reading seems to point to seawater pressure but I would have thought that would have given me an increased temp... also have been reading that these sensors go bad. was told that scan tool can tell you if its a bad sensor but dont know for sure.

Thanks again. I will call the company in the morning for more info.

Back