Logo

What is everyone doing to still get performance with heavier 4 strokes

wavewalker

"I looked around but didn'

"I looked around but didn't find a clear discussion, so I thought I'd ask.
Nearly no one is making lightweight 2 strokes anymore. I have an 11foot high performance boat that basically is not rated in the horsepower but by motor weight on the transom, and is recommended not have a motor on it over 135 pounds.
It could handle an open exhaust race engine and really go, but I have to settle for a slightly modified fishing motor.
I currently run a 1990 Johnson/'Rude 35 HP at about 48mph+, depending which prop I'm using at the time.
This is my fast run thru my second childhood boat., giving up my 45+ years of riding motorcycles. This way if I crash this time I only get wet..
Another question, does anyone know what is the highest horsepower motor 4 stroke out there available that would not exceed 135 pounds?
My concern, that in my useful lifetime I have left of trying to have fun with this boat, that some of the lakes I go to just might start banning 2 strokes from being used on the lake, even though mine does not smoke, still mine is not typical of some older 2 strokes.
Thanx"

"The weight of 4 strokes is sl

"The weight of 4 strokes is slowly coming down from the first models, however, in trying to keep below 135 pounds you would be hard pressed to find anything above 20 horses in that weight class..."

"I went to Yamaha site. They s

"I went to Yamaha site. They still have 2 stroke and 4 stroke. Ok, their 25HP 4 stroke weighs 170, their 2 stroke weighs 105. Their 4 stroke 50HP weighs 237, the 50 2 stroke weighs 189. I looked at larger models, the larger HP you go the less difference in weight, of course probably on boats that the little added weight won't make much of a difference, but the smaller motors designed for smaller boats where a few critical pounds changes performance the 4 stroke becomes an anchor."

"They will only be able to go

"They will only be able to go so light without compromising the integrety of the parts.

At the bottom of it all, a 4 stroke still has hundreds of more parts (most of them moving parts) than a 2 stroke.

That translates into extra weight. Sometimes shaving weight is done at the cost of lessining the lifespan of the parts.

Perfect example is the motors on most jet ski's.

Super high horsepower out of a low displacement light motor.

They work fine for about 5 years then you take it in for a rebuild. At the 10 year mark you replace it because it's toast again.

You may eventually have that choice with outboards as well -

a nice light "disposable" 4 stroke that will go like snot until you lauch the powerhead or a heavier, lower horsepower that will last for a few years (still with lots and lots of maintenance and care)..."

Back