Logo

What affects idle speed on Ficht engines?

baddog1016

Regular Contributor
Specifically a 2000 225. My engine idles too low (380-400 RPM) and I was under the impression this is controlled by the EMM. I was told today that is not the case that there has to be a different problem. I do know I have good compression in all 6 cylinders and spark in all 6 cylinders. The spark plugs look the same when I pull them out and actually are nice and tan on the ceramic that is shielded by the base. The spark plugs tend to be sooty at the electrode but I think that's because I have to motor at pretty much idle speed for 15 minutes to wear I pull the boat from the water. Is there a way to test the injectors while installed in the engine? I have to send my EMM out for repair because of a no crank condition and would love to know my injectors are good while the EMM is gone. If I have to wait I will do the cylinder drop test. I checked two cylinders before the no crank condition hit and the engine stalled both times.

The EMM controls idle speed but it gets its information from the sensors. The exhaust pressure sensor,water temp sensor and air temp sensor, these all tell EMM to adjust fuel/air ratio

faztbullet, thanks! I was doing a cylinder drop test when two things happened:
Code 26 was set and and I had a no crank issue that I am sure is the EMM. I am including screen shots of the data to see if you might glean anything from these. (I replaced the EP nipple)

Attachments

• dusky idle data.jpg
    dusky idle data.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 18
I replaced the EP, and battery voltage was at 12.4 volts. I just noticed 40V circuit was at 31 volts. I was talking to someone yesterday who told me that will affect idle speed as it affects injector firing. I have the EMM out of the boat and will sending it out today for repair.

Back