Logo

Weak magnets on my OK-60

BRUPP79

Regular Contributor
Well, I went to do a test start on my project OK-60. I have spark, but not enough. It will kick, but not enough to fire. Some reason I have lost it. At 1/8 it is bright blue, more than that nothing. It had great spark before. Guessing flywheel magnets are weak. They are from 1932. Has anyone recharged or does recharging of magnets? I have searched on the forum, but am failing at finding a good answer. Sorry for a repeat question.....

Visit the ---aomci-----Perhaps still some old time mechanics there.----Local meets and a free wanted ad might help you.

I joined AOMCI some time back. Site was down and locked out. Message said "security was breached". I will keep watching for it to be back up.

I have the coil gap set at abouts .015* or 2 layers of blue masking tape. Back off the coils till just don't scrape. I had 1/4 - 3/8 right after I reassembled and set the timing plate. But the magnets on the flywheel are really weak. Research has lead me that this was a issue on these old machines. Have read they can be recharged by machine or a neo magnet. Willing to try, just curious on others experience. Thanks again. Will post results.

Correct they can be recharged with the correct machine.-----But 0.015" may be too large an air gap on coils to get maximum magnetic FLUX.----If bearings allow it , set gap at 0.006" and see what happens to spark.-----Also the points must be set to open at the correct time to get maximum spark !

Brian, the magnets did the job after 90 years, eh? 3/8" spark? So what happened overnight? They weren't that strong to begin with. As you know, I'm just reasonably thinking.

Yea, something is wrong. Just not seeing it right now. Going to pull things apart and check it all out once more. Could be something simple i am just not seeing, or that it did when half asleep :D.... The AOMCI site is back up, will post again there. I did a coil test on it with ohm meter. Ground to the wire going to the point was .5 ohm i thought i remember. Point wire to plug wire was open and so was plug wire to ground. I thought there was sposed to be some reading between the two wires, has been 20 years since I had to do that test. I checked a know good chainsaw coil and I got the same results, maybe too cheap of meter. Has been dropped a few times..... I tried the point at anywheres from .015 to .030. Same results. There isn't any timing marks and the cam is on the flywheel. I found the highest spot and aligned the point best I could see and set the gap. I will get it, just something simple i know it....

Ohh. This is a single point dual plug wire single coil. Both pistons fire at the same time. Not sure if that makes a diff.... thanks again..

Last edited:
That's right!!!!, only 1 coil on these. Dah! Make sure you have NO resistance on the points. I use an analog meter set on Rx1. My guess is that there is some resistance there at the points. Make sure there is no debris of any kind where points could have any conductivity to ground....except of course when wanted.

Good morning. So, I learned a new thing yesterday from a member on AOMCI. On the old single coil dual plug wire coils you check your secondary circuit plug wire to plug wire. Which when checked it was 59K of resistance. Guessing is good on the old motors? I dunno. Posted my results there, will see what they say. Second. On those oldies, to check spark strength you must ground out one plug wire. I did that and 1/4 -3/8 loud blue snap! Great news! I am going to go through clean it all again, check coil gap, point gap and timing. I guess there is marks, I have overlooked I guess. If it purrs to life great. If not will keep searching. One idea that I've had was can the poles on the flywheel reverse themselves? I did have to use quite a bit of persuasion to get the old flywheel off as everything was a solid ball of rust. I had an old 2 horsepower OMC motor years ago that ran great, and then one day would not start again. Had excellent spark and was getting fuel but would not start no matter what you did. And for some reason I had the idea spin the motor backwards and it fired right up and I would adjust the timing and it would rev up only it was spinning in reverse. So that I shut it down and tried starting it in forward and it would not start. Strange that it would start spinning it backwards but not forward. I guess once I get through double-checking everything if it's a no-go I'm going to try to spin the motor backwards and see what happens. Curious if you guys have ever run into such a strange thing happening?

Last edited:
Retarding it will make it run better in reverse, however it will not make it as likely to get started in reverse. It's a timing issue, eh? Almost any 2 stroke can be run in reverse, as you know. Do the magnetic poles make a difference in this case then? I say, no way. Start it in right hand rotation, or start it in left hand rotation....it still runs, magnets don't change....still produce spark when directed by timing position in either direction.

Okay I’m going to entitle this paragraph “The Good, The Bad and The Ugly.”

“The Good” I I do believe that I found timing marks on the bottom of the stator plate and the flywheel. I can’t believe I didn’t see them before. That should be fairly easy to do with a digital voltmeter set on eesistance and watch gor the point break.

“The Bad”I had a feeling in the back of my head that something inside was not as it should be. So I decided to pull the cylinders off as for some reason in the back of my mind I thought I had the Pistons wrong. Turns out I did not, there’s a positive. The second thing is I found something that was wrong before it became an issue on the middle of the lake trying to figure out why I’m only running on one cylinder. It turns out when I was making cylinder base gaskets I cut them out of paper stock and made one of them correct and the other one in correct. I forgot to cut the opening for the transfer charge from the crankcase to the cylinder on the passenger side cylinder. I had a good laugh when I saw it and then thought to myself okay no more early morning tinkering in the garage.

“The Ugly” now I had a very nice looking motor all tore apart in my garage again! Oh well I had a good laugh about it and I guess in hindsight looking at the situation if you can Laugh & Learn at your mistakes that’s a good thing.20220308_150811.jpg

Last edited:
Wow! She still looks like brand new, Brian. Sure would like to be back in '32. That was the year that legal beer with 3.2 alc. came back. That's what "Farmer", here in the boat with me, told me....he was 23 at that time. A "Toast" to your work, but today it's a Hamm's!

Last edited:
Back