Logo

WaterIce in exhaust manifold 1997 5.7

eyeman

"1999 Bayliner Ciera 2655 5.7L We had our boat professionally winterized last fall and yesterday while cleaning the engine compartment I pulled the blue plugs from the bottom of the exhaust manifold to find about 2 ounces of water in each. No pink antifreeze, just water. In WI we see subzero temperature all winter long, so I know it froze in the manifolds. Can anybody tell me if I have a problem? There are no visible cracks."

"no way to say from here if th

"no way to say from here if the manifolds were drained or not., but I've never known anyone to retighten the drain cocks after winterizing.

Not everyone uses pink antifreeze, so I wouldn't be concerned about the lack of that.

Everyone I know leaves the drains open until spring.
2 oz. of h20 can't do any damage, and it's likely just fine, but you may be seeing the last 2 oz. that didn't go out through the cracks.

If concerned, it's best to drain the oil off the bottom of the oil pan BEFORE starting the engine - if there's water in the oil, it will be on the bottom.

Once you start it, you will make a damaging mess so drain off the bottom first.}"

I just talked to the mechanic

I just talked to the mechanic that did the winterizing and he also tells me that I should not have a problem. I have no idea why he put to plugs back in and I will never have somebody do my winterizing again.
What does the oil pan have to do with the exhaust manifolds? It's not possible for water to get from the bottom of the manifolds to the oil pan. Help?
How much water should come out of a manifold during a winterization draining? More than 2 oz.?

"[b]"What does the oil pan

""What does the oil pan have to do with the exhaust manifolds? It's not possible for water to get from the bottom of the manifolds to the oil pan. Help? "

Ayuh,... Are you saying you now have Water in the base,..??
If so, How Much,..??

Manifolds hold upwards of a gallon or so..."

"I'm not sure what you mea

"I'm not sure what you mean by "base"? The only water was in the bottom of each exhaust manifold. Oil was changed before it was winterized, it looks perfectly clean and right at the full line on the dip stick. If each exhaust manifold holds a gallon, then I'm a one happy boater because the mechanic must have drained them and I'm likely to have no freeze cracks. Thanks for you guidance/comfort with this matter."

"the way water gets from the m

"the way water gets from the manifolds to the pan:

manifold cracks, water runs through the cracks into the exhaust header (the part of the manifold that the water surrounds)and into any cylinder which happens to have an open exhaust valve. After sitting on the piston for a while and rusting the internals, it runs past the rings and down into the oil. It falls through the oil to the bottom of the pan."

"Hello,
I agree that a small

"Hello,
I agree that a small amount of water in the exhuast manifolds won't do any damage. If they were full,well that's another story as I'm sure you know. If you develop a hydro locking situation,the manifolds may be cracked internally.

All the best."

"I don't want to start a f

"I don't want to start a fight here but; i had to tap a manifold hole cause i left the plug out didn't have a cock. The threads went. So i tapped it installed a short pipe and a cap all brass.

Actually i think it's recommended that plugs be reinstalled. And cocks closed after winterization.
I spelled that wrong ? Oh well i never could spell well, or is that good, whatever, can't type well or good ether,and grammer chiiiiit, with a school teacher as a wife she gave up trying to teach me proper english.

Sooo the opinions of the old dogs i hang with maybe 5-6 boaters is poke the holes good, with a wire that has a little hook to make sure rust ain't clogging the hole and let drain, then close the cock or reinstall the plug so the threads don't go and then a little anti-freeze.

Me i pour anti-freeze so it goes down the drive also.

I started my boat up already all tight and good, so i must be doing something right."

"Water to the pan via a cracke

"Water to the pan via a cracked exhaust manifold exchanger - makes sense now. Thanks and I truly hope that didn't happen. I'll put the muffs on and check her out next weekend. We had a freeze last night, so I'm doing my best to hold off on dewinterizing. It's really tough when I see the lake ice going out! Anti-sieze and putting the plugs back in, got it. I'll be using lots of compressed air to push every oz of H2O out next fall. One more question - If the system was properly winterized shouldn't the exhaust manifold have had antifreeze, not water, in it?"

Nope air don't freeze and

Nope air don't freeze and some techs don't use anti-freeze. I do and not alot just maybe a soda pop bottle full for the mani and then a little in all the other hoses coming off the t-stat.

"I always store them wet,it he

"I always store them wet,it helps keep the water jacket from rusting,among other things. Only takes a gallon of pink crap to protect the average 6 and 8 cylinder. Cheap insurance imo.
As for the drains...ball cocks seem to work very well."

I fully appreciate what a ball

I fully appreciate what a ball valve is in a residential/commercial plumbing application. But I don't have any idea how a ball valve would be of value in a boat engine winterization process. The blue plugs are much smaller and seem really simple for letting the water out. Maybe Guest is suggesting the ball valve at the through-hull?

"We are talking about engine d

"We are talking about engine drains aren't we? I'm not saying to use a ball valve through the hull. Who drains an engine through the hull? I am talking about the use of ball valves inplace of the factory drains. Ball valves in the block, make draining the block a snap. Ball valves do not get blocked as easily.You can run a wire through a ball valve to insure the valve is clear with no problem,and most importantly,they do not freeze shut so you can't open them. A ball valve never leaks.
The biggest problem with installing ball valves is room. Some engine compartments are just a little too tight for a ball valve on the manifold risers.

If you keep your boat in right up to when the water is freezing around the hull, as many of the fishermen around here do,you'll love having ball valves.
At the end of a days fishing you just open the valves and drain out the system."

"Ayuh,... It don't matter

"Ayuh,... It don't matter if you use tiny ball-valves or the original drains or plain ole brass pipe plugs...

What Really, Truely matters is to be able to poke the CRUD outa the holes so it'll Drain,...
Completely..."

Makes total sense to me. Rod

Makes total sense to me. Rod each drain port to confirm they are completely drained. Thanks for all the help folks.

Back