Logo

water pump tube

cwkerr007

hello everyone i'm a nebie to the forum and i've had a bunch of older jo outboards but i haven't run into this problem before . It's an 81 j25e and i don't know the history on it but here is my problem . The motor has sit for a while and i had to rewire the crumbling black harness. I wired it and put it in tne water and she started right up and the water pump was working and the carb wasn't leaking so i run it in a circle and took it home to get it ready for a run. So the next day i put it in the water STOP {let me say the pump wasn't at full stream at idle but kicked in as soon as you gave it throttle it was weak at idle though} so I figured i'll just replace the pump with a good oem part and i've done probably replaced 20 jon eve water pumps in my life with no issues so i look at the stream and it's strong at idle now so i gave it throttle and let it plane out and turned around and pulled back to the dock . And wat do u know it quit pumping so no prob i load it back up and went home . {I live a 1/2 mile from the dock} so i pull the lower end off and right away i know someone had already done this the bolts were not tight enough. so i pull it down and the pump is new and there is no water in the gear oil but i changed it any way. Now here is where i lost control i'm tryin to play detective and here is the facts. Crud is the best way i know to describe it was caked in the cavities around the pump so i figured when they replaced the pump they did not clean the exhaust cavity and all the old oxidation from the exh and water broke it loose and it couldn't get out at idle. So I cleaned it out with my air engine cleaner and thought well if it's here it's everywhere so i got a hose and put it on the water tube and blew in it. {not with the air compressor I let my wife do it and it seams to be leaking at the top of the tube but the tube is locked in the orfice that it's connected to but not stuck it moves around just won't come out so i am assuming that it should be a tight seal at that union ???? and i didn't want to break any discontinued parts so ?????? does the tube just pull out or does it take a tool???? Thank ya'l sorry about the long winded post just want all the info out there thanx for your help please

well here's an update after cleaning the lower end and removing the little plastic restrictor at the end of the water outlet everything is peachey cause it was bottlenecking the crud in it right there at the plastic restrictor and once i let it run with it removed it blew out the crud and is back to being the chevrolet of boat motors {dependable built to last or was back then lol} I hope this helped someone to diagnose there problem in the futur if i have anymore info i'll be back thanx

Back