Logo

Water in bilge

Kirt

I have a 94, 22' celebrity status. I'm getting excessive water in my bilge during half throttle and rolling waves. I know it's not coming in through the vent above the swim platform. I have a new motor, new transom, new gimbal housing, bearing, u joints (with all new housing gaskets) the bellows are less than 2 years... If I am running on plane I don't get but Maybe an ounce of water in the bilge. It's only in rolling seas, running half throttle where I have to keep the bow slightly raised (not on plane) I'm stumped.

Clarify NEW.

If all is new, why is the bellows 2 years old?

Your timeline makes your explanation confusing.

When I say everything is new, I am referring to within the past two years... with the exception of the motor, u-joints and Stern drive gaskets which are less than 6 months old.

Anything 2 years old is NOT NEW.

Did this leak ocurr before the ujoints, engine and sterndrive gaskets?

Did you do the above work (6 months old)?

Yes, I've always had issues with water in the bilge. If the boat sits (in the water) or if I'm on plane... I don't get any water in the bilge, it's only when my bow is high and I'm at about half throttle.

Yes, I've always had issues with water in the bilge. If the boat sits (in the water) or if I'm on plane... I don't get any water in the bilge, it's only when my bow is high and I'm at about half throttle.

I did the gaskets and u-joints. All other work I had done. Also, I checked the Stern drive gear fluid, it is like new, it is not milky... so I know that no water is getting into the gear case.

Explain how you know water is not coming in through the vents?

You understand that one vent is for incoming air and the other is for out going air?

At part throttle the bow is typically at its highest hieght thus the transom is at its lowest point.
Also when in "rolling" waves this same condition ocurrs.

This points towards a leak high up the transom above the half way point of the ujoint bellows.

Note: Boat manufactures who but vents at transom are F'n idiots!
All quality designed boats have vents on the sides

Explain how you know water is not coming in through the vents?

You understand that one vent is for incoming air and the other is for out going air?

At part throttle the bow is typically at its highest hieght thus the transom is at its lowest point.
Also when in "rolling" waves this same condition ocurrs.

This points towards a leak high up the transom above the half way point of the ujoint bellows.

Note: Boat manufactures who but vents at transom are F'n idiots!
All quality designed boats have vents on the sides
I agree, putting a vent 2 inches above a swim platform is ridiculous. Don't get me wrong water can come in through the vent and if the bow is high (and as you stated) the transom is at its lowest point and I throw the boat in neutral water will come up over the swim platform thus entering the vent. However this is not the case when I am running half throttle with the transom low I get no water on the swim platform. Oh I can tell already after running approximately 40 minutes I open the engine cover and I have a couple gallons of water in the bilge.

I agree, putting a vent 2 inches above a swim platform is ridiculous. Don't get me wrong water can come in through the vent and if the bow is high (and as you stated) the transom is at its lowest point and I throw the boat in neutral water will come up over the swim platform thus entering the vent. However this is not the case when I am running half throttle with the transom low I get no water on the swim platform. Oh I can tell already after running approximately 40 minutes I open the engine cover and I have a couple gallons of water in the bilge.
One last comment. I do have two vents on each side of the boat, and yes I realize one is incoming one is exiting. The (side) vents are positioned high enough where no water splashes in them.

Ok, everything is newer, within 2 years.... How old is something have to be where it is not new if it's a week old is that new 2 weeks old you tell me.

Ok, everything is newer, within 2 years.... How old is something have to be where it is not new if it's a week old is that new 2 weeks old you tell me.

Using the word new is the issue.

New is new. Less than a couple uses would be my opinion.
Also including history of issue always helps.

Can you get a photo of the transom including fhe swim platform and how its attached. Also a photo of the vents?

You say you have two side vents AND two rear vents? Why 4?

What engine and outdrive?

Using the word new is the issue.

New is new. Less than a couple uses would be my opinion.
Also including history of issue always helps.
You are correct. I guess when I use the word new, I meant that it has been replaced within the past couple years.. but you are right, if I say it has a new motor and it's 2 years old it's not really new.

I looked up your boat on google.
Thd swim platform is part of boat as molded.

Vents are in a really bad location based on the images I viewed.

If you have had this issue since buying the boat there is something missing from the history and or description.

Have you ever had someone/yourself, watch the bildge area when you suspect water is leaking in (throttling up or in wavy water)?

You are correct the swim platform is part of the molding and you can see what I mean by the rear vent, how if it gets up on the swim platform chances of it entering through the vent are highly likely. Funny you mentioned watching the bilge while out running, we were just looking at the boat talking about going out and doing just that.

Is this the cuddy cabin version? How is the boat stored? Not to insult your intellect but could the front hatch be leaking and water is collecting in a front compartment and running back when transom is lower? Buddy had a 94 Crownline do this.

It is the cuddy cabin version. My front hatch has a drain hole that goes out the side. I have sealed up anything (If it does leak through the seal of the hatch) that could get down through into the front bilge under the cuddy. I keep my boat on a trailer at home with a bow raised so if any water does get in, it goes towards the back and out the drain plug..

Back