Logo

water flowing out of cowling

Clint1973

I have a 9.9 4 stroke and have water pumping out of the top of my cowling and running in over my transom. the water is not coming into the top of my cowling around the engine just in the lower sealed off section.

What year is your motor? Is it a 9.9A or 9.9D?

If you do not know the answer to any of the above...what is your serial number?

It is not clear to me exactly where on the motor you mean by lower sealed off section.

Do you mean the lower unit?

Need more info...any pictures?

Mike

it is a 2006, SN: 1500326, The motor has the left and right side cowling with a gasket around the bottom at the lower unit and a gasket half way up to seal off the engine compartment. where the two cowlings meet in the front water is flowing up out of the cowling and over the transom bracket but not getting in the engine compartment. I have checked for a cracked housing and seal on the lower unit and water pump and cannot find one. I thought water might be pushing up the lower unit and through the cowling when in motion but can't figure out how it would.

My first thought is the water indicator tube has either cracked or came off. It comes out of the motor in the lower part of the unit and through the gasketed (if that is a word) area. It then connects to the little black nipple by the carburator drain nipple on the starboard side of the motor. Is it possible that it came loose or was damaged when you removed the side cover to change the oil filter?

If in doubt, remove that side panel and run the engine and see from where it is coming. It will probably be pretty clear to you then.

Mike

All my lines are connected correcltly and no cracks are in the line going to the pee hole. The water is coming into the cowling when I am in motion only, thats why I have questioned wheter or not a gasket is missing on the lower part of the cowling. I took my engine cover off while running in the lake on Sunday and no water is coming into my engine compartment. I looked at a parts catalog and all seals and gaskets pictured are present on the engine, that is why it has been mind juggling for me. I figured my next step was to take the cover and both cowlings off and run it to see what happens, I am just scared of getting water in my breather.

Sounds to me like you didn't get the side covers mated back together properly and you are pushing water in through the resultant space/gap left there and forcing the lake water up against the drain pan and back out into your transom. If you only removed the starboard side cover, take it back off and watch it carefully as you reinstall it to make sure you get a perfect little seam between it and the port cover. Make sure the bottom of the cover sits in tight against the motor leg too. I know they give me trouble once in a while when I'm putting them back.

Last edited:
This was the first thing I checked when it happened, I even took both sides back off and cleaned the lower seal to make sure it was staying in position. I am going to drop it in the water tommorrow and try some different steps because you are right about the flow of water pushing up, I just have to figure out from where.

I want to also thank everyone for the taking time to reply to my question.

Back