Logo

Water blowing out into lower unit

calderp

Helping my sister with her 88 Johnson 28hp ([FONT=open sans, sans-serif]J28ESLCCR) and I'm realizing I don't really know how the cooling system on these things work. We put in a new water pump and I'm not sure whether the water tube is sealing on the powerhead side, and also not really sure how important that seal is. The rubber gasket that goes on the powerhead end is discontinued so I cut a replacement and when we have the motor back together with the little access cover for the shift rod removed it is spraying a fair bit of water out of the access cover. It does have strong flow out of the pee tube though. I think that powerhead exhausts some cooling water into the lower unit anyway, right? So how do I tell whether this spray is normal operation or a poor seal between the water tube and powerhead? If the seal is leaking does it even matter as long as there is still good flow? I'm just not sure how concerned to be here.[/FONT]

Water is pumped out of the lake.----Cools the motor.----Then is discharged from the engine to cool the exhaust.----Water returns to the lake.----So yes water will spray out of that cover.

Water is pumped out of the lake.----Cools the motor.----Then is discharged from the engine to cool the exhaust.----Water returns to the lake.----So yes water will spray out of that cover.

Right, I understand where it comes from and where it eventually goes but I had thought that the discharge was out of those two outlets in the upper portion of the lower unit, I wasn't sure whether just discharging into the lower unit itself is a normal condition.

Back