Logo

Warranty work

schinia

"i have a 2008 suki DF50. it w

"i have a 2008 suki DF50. it was purchased june/07,w/not that many hours on it it went in for repair sept/07. the pistons and power head were replaced. (it was bending the electrodes on the spark plugs) the rep said it was a problem w/ignition. lets jump ahead to 2 months ago. there were things happening w/the motor that i believed were caused by ethanol, the two filters were changed and the fuel sep, the tank was taken out and cleaned, and the pickup was cleaned. still no progress, i cleaned out the gas lines,and found that the primer bulb was rotted? i figured the problem solved.no, the last thing i did was to pull the plugs, #3 cyl was bent like someone dropped it. installed new plugs, w/no change. pulled out the #3 plug and it was ok. thought about it a few minutes, and decided to pull the other two. this time #2 was damaged. took the boat back for warranty work. mech said he's never heard of this before.(40 years) but he figured it was pistons put in 180 degrees out (if they were dommed) i waited for seven days, when he didn't call, went to see him. the engine was pulled apart and the pistons, were chipped and cracked, and missing peices at the edge of the top,all arround. the pieces must have hit the spark plugs. he said that the rep knew exactly what went wrong. it was low octane fuel. i said 87 is the lowest you can buy. but the mech said if gas sets for a couple months or so especially w/ethanol in it it's going to be alot lower than 87. i said then what caused this to happen last time? when the gas was good? he said he had his own idea. he knows that in 2006-2007 zuki changed the composition of the pistons, and also moved the ring grooves closer to the top of the piston,where the pieces were breaking off.that and other changes contributed to the engine failure. he said that he's pretty sure there going to replace the short block, i said pretty sure? they didn't make up there mind yet? and he said he hopes that they will replace the power head, because he's not going to take it apart and clean out the metal thats in there cause they're not paying him enough. i said this is the second time this has happened, and going to be the third set of pistons, and i think they should replace the whole engine. no they're not going to do that. i asked him, like i am asking you should i get rid of this engine and get a yama.his reply was,he likes suzuki. i feel that if it was bad pistons they didn't remedy it w/better pistons. and now they're going to do the job again, and warranty time is running out. and they're not admitting anything-but bad gas? the mech hasn't worked on it for 4 days while waiting for a go ahead! my mechanic doesn't work on or hasn't the opportunity to work on motors less than 90 hp. so he would like to know how many other people this has happened to, and i think if i'm the only one, then this engine is a lemon."

Well I have a 2003 DF 50 and k

Well I have a 2003 DF 50 and knock on wood...haven't had any of your issues. However I have heard of spark plug electrodes being bent because the wrong spark plug was used (to long). I know ethanol is some bad crap and a few months ago I (finally) found Stabil's Ethanol additive and have been using that ever since. I always use a fuel stabilizer with every fill up. laslty I installed a ten micron filter. I have had treated gas sit in my 19 gallon tank for 6 months and the eninge fired up and ran fine. I like my Suzuki a lot and would buy another one.

Back