Logo

warning alarm when key turned on

bad luck

I have a 2006 Mercury 90hp two stroke that has been in storage for a year. When I turned the key on the warning alarm sounded. It is a steady alarm, not intermittent. I have replaced the water pump and it still happens. I have also replaced the assembly switch in the oil injected tank. The alarm still sounds. The water pump doesn't even have a chance to come on. That is how quick the alarm starts. It stops only when I unhook I unhook one side or the other of the two wires going to the assembly switch. Again, I replaced this though. I have added oil to the gas tank and it is hooked the water muffs so I can try to keep starting and diagnose problem. The one shop I got the Tracker at which is 1 hour away wants $95 just to even open the motor and evaluate. Any suggestions would be highly welcomed!

Check the overheat switch in the head...tan w/blue stripe wire. You can unplug it on the starboard side of the engine at a bullet connector.

I have unplugged the overheat switch doesn't change the alarm,has anyone ever changed the float valve inside the oil tank I have read that they are magnegic and can fail and trip the alarm if so can the float valve be changed it is only held in by silcone

Unplug the float / oil level alarm first and see what happens.----Maybe there is something wrong with the buzzer itself ?

Unplug the float / oil level alarm first and see what happens.----Maybe there is something wrong with the buzzer itself ?

A pair of lt blue wires. They come from the back side of the tank and come out around the bottom rear to engage the wiring harness. Unplugging one will work. Also in the circuit is the alarm module which is there to modulate the oil fail to an intermittent beep. The OT goes into the module but also straight out to the bottom of the horn....switched 12v on the top side.

While trouble shooting, unplug the alarm module recognized by the following wires going to it: Tan/lt blue stripe, 2 lt blue, purple, black. If your engine does not have the module then the lt. blue wires from the tank have one going to ground and the other to the tan wire junction via a tan/lt blue wire. In the latter case both will sound a solid alarm....no intermittent beeping.....per the manual wiring diagram.

Mark

Hey guys. Thank you for all your input. I finally figured out the problem. It was the float valve in the oil tank that was bogged down with oil so it didn't float like it should. Thanks to Mercury you can't change the inexpensive float you have to buy a whole new oil tank. So oil all together it was about $125 but at least I didn't have to pay $95 shop rate to the people that said my motor didn't even have a low oil warning sensor system. This forum is awesome and thanks for taking the time to respond to me.

Thanks for caring enough for your help to give us some feedback so that we can be more accurate the next time we attempt to help someone.

MarK

Back