Logo

WANTED Propeller For Volvo penta leg (not sure which type)

Guyph_01

Contributing Member
Hi Guys,

I bought this boat with a volvo penta engine and leg but the prop hit something and is completely destroyed. Now i've been having some trouble finding one and i was hoping someone here could help me.

So here is my shaft off the leg. No splines, its weird and is that normal? Most of the props i see have splines???

Oh and here is the prop

So yeah i need a prop to suit please...

Regards,
Guy

From the damage to the prop it looks as if someone replaced the brass shear pin, i.e., the pin that connects the prop to the shaft with steel. I would check that the transmission shifts freely. Sometimes when these hit something hard, the cone clutch jams (easy to fix) this looks like a Volvo 100 series drive. I owned one of these many many years ago and the P/O also hit something hard "at speed". He replaced the prop, however, what also happened was that the female of the forward cone clutch developed a fracture at its root. Drive ran OK for about half a season before that fracture failed completely leaving me at the dock (fortunately) without forward.

That is most likely a very old AQ100 drive.
Or perhaps even earlier!

If you are coming up against any major drive service work and/or repair, I would strongly suggest that you go to a later drive, such as a 250 or later!

kimcrwbr1, Thx for the link. this looks like the prop i need :) Where can i find the pins etc as i don't have any of those too??

That is most likely a very old AQ100 drive.
Or perhaps even earlier!

If you are coming up against any major drive service work and/or repair, I would strongly suggest that you go to a later drive, such as a 250 or later!

Here Is the plate on the leg.

Thx guys for the help:)

kimcrwbr1, the motor is a b20 4cyl twin carb. Below are the pics of the plate. Do you know where i can find a set of pins etc to fit the prop as those too are missing :(

sandkicker, I hope what you are saying isn't true:(

RicardoMarine, I'll be on the lookout for another leg, are they bolt on? Till what model can i use since i have this one?

Thx guys again so much, You've been a huge help:)

Also, does the shaft look ok? or is it damaged missing something?

Last edited:
pin #806661
spinner #806660
split pin #907881
you can get the spinner and pin here the split pin IDK

kimcrwbr1, The Prop seller doesnt ship to australia and does not allow emails through. I tired looking on ebay but can find another. Would you have better luck then me since it looks like you know where to look:) Also i think i need the little cone. is that the spinner?

What do you mean by i can get the spinner and pin here? here is?

Regards
Guy

Ok cool i'll try. So just to be sure, I have a AQ100 leg? is that right? now i'd like to replace the oil in it. What type and how much do they take?

Thx

Guy, this is a rather old Volvo Penta Engine and Stern Drive system.
While you may be able to find a propeller, have you considered other aspects of this and the related parts?

Have you tested and/or checked out the following:

Engine..... does it run well? Are cylinder pressures acceptable?

Drive...... is the drive oil clean and is it passing a pressure/vacuum leak-down test?

Propeller shaft....... since the propeller had become damaged, have you checked the prop-shaft for any "run out"?

Upper unit "universal" shaft..... the 100 universal shaft is an oddity compared to most any others. Have you checked this component out?

This may be sounding rather "doom and gloom", but I would much rather be realistic with you, and not see you spend money needlessly and/or have difficulty finding a part that may prevent you from using this system!

Again........ Volvo Penta is great and I love VP......, but this is a very old system!
There will be a deifinite point at which either continuing, and or deciding to "cut your losses" now, will become prudent!

Edit:
I realize that the idea of swapping this out for a later drive involves quite a bit of work.
However, once we get into the 250 and later drives, there are no real issues with parts availability, and many of these parts remained the same for years to come!

Examples;

Drive shaft bellows for a 250 remain the same through the mid-90's C, C1, C2 etc. drives.
Bearing crosses (aka U-joints) remain the same through much of the 80's.
All lower units can be made to interchange..... (providing that the correct ratio is used).
All single prop drives will allow for the same prop hub splines.

Last edited:
Ricardo,

This is what forums are for and your input is greatly appreciated:) Ok, I'm new to the VP as you call them but i've been fooling around with engines, specifically subaru engine for the past 8yrs and i can say i have a basic or average understanding of mechanics:) The engine runs great, was a bit rough after not being started after 3yrs, but fresh plugs, leads, carby cleaned and pump gaskets replaced she runs quite smooth now. My compression tester broke so no idea on that yet till i buy a new one. Leg goes into gear, forward and reverse and revs/rotates well.

What do you mean by, have you checked the prop-shaft for any "run out"? do i need to remove the two chrome bolts to see the 90deg gears or drop the bottom half of the leg? but not nothing has been inspected yet.
Whats the Upper unit "universal" shaft? and how or what needs to be checked?

Yes i understand that getting a newer engine or leg is better but so far nothing is available locally and at a affordable price. I don't mind getting a prop, pins, a cone and hopefully pay 100-200 incl postage to get it here and see how long this thing will last. At the moment its working and no newer stuff is available..

Would you or anyone here be able to help me find a prop, pins, a cone? And also tell me the type and amount of oil the leg takes.

Kimcrwbr1, I thank you again for the help:) but so far im still without a prop etc :(

Thx guys
:)

Guy, the propeller shaft must run true, or in other words it cannot be bent nor show any wobble (run-out)!
Propeller damage (due to an impact) will occasionally bend a propeller shaft.
When/if bent, it must be removed and straightened, and/or replaced!

Go here and take a look at the images for a 100 drive!

http://www.google.com/search?q=volv...azyAGqtYDACw&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAA&biw=320&bih=416#

Here's a picture of this rather odd universal shaft.
http://www.marineengine.com/boat-fo...3E2977A-BA5A-40B7-9521-0F95F60D9256/imagejpeg

Guy, I've been doing Volvo Penta AQ series drive and engine work for over 20 years.
I could not in good conscience take anyone's money for repair on a drive of this age....., and perhaps more importantly when considering the fact that so many changes have occurred once past this model!

Last edited:
Oh ok, I'm not 100% sure but i'm pretty sure that i didn't see any wobble but i'll double check that. Ok i understand your point but i don't have any other to buy as there are none on the market at the moment. That is why im looking for a prop to get me going till either it fails or i can get a newer model drive...

Yes first like looks exactly like what i've got :)

Second like doesn't work:(

Any chance you know where i can find a prop?
I found this but price is quite a bit http://www.shipwrecksalvage.net/volvo-penta-propeller-813224-13-x-13-aq100-saildrive-p-2991.html and this http://coastalrides.co.uk/sterndrive-spares---parts/volvo-penta-aq100-series-propeller-cone would this work?
Also, Do they have a water impeller like outboards in the drive? What's the part number for that?
Thx

Last edited:
Unless I missed it, there is no mention of the size of the boat. While there are any number of props that will fit this leg, one needs to consider "size", i.e., diameter and pitch. These elements are critical. Most VP manufactured props have a part number on them somewhere. Is there one on this. The prop listing you referred to on ebay, while it would most likely fit on the prop shaft, did not have published any "size" information.
Given these drives were used on anything from 16 ft runabouts to houseboats, with the range of applications accommodated by changes in "size" proper diameter and pitch (size) is critical.

SandKicker, Yes very good point. The boat is a 18ft fiberglass hull with a wooden half cabin. The engine is a 4cyl twin carb B20 engine. Would you be able to recommend a suitable prop size? I was not able to see any markings on the prop. Maybe covered under layers of paint. I will try and clean that off and have a better look asap.

Thx

Up until several years ago, the online selectors for Volvo props showed props for AQ100 series. I just checked a number of sites and they pretty much truncate with the 200 series. Perhaps another member has a saved copy of an older selector guide with AQ100s that they are willing to share. The older guides also showed the same HP vs hull size and prop size matrix all the way down to the HP range of the 100s, but again the current ones I've found don't have any useful info. I used to have an 18 ft Deep V runabout with an AQ110 ( 1800cc, twin Zenith downdrafts) with a navy (canvas) top. I think I used to run a (roughly, its been many many years (1980) since I owned that boat ) 14x15 prop for general use and a 14x14 prop for waterskiing.

Thx Guys,

Its been a bit of a challenge but i found a prop in the states and with pin etc. Thx so much for the help:)
Now if after some other bits, Carby kit, water pump etc but i'll start a new thread

Thx

i need a propeller for the aq100 drive but cant find anyone that ships to Norway.. And my propeller has "813243" on it and is LH handed, cant find this propeller anywhere, someone help me ! :S 972606_10151997825016886_1369499486_n.jpg961079_10151997825646886_474501574_n.jpg10344963_10151997835586886_2126719413_n.jpg10311940_10151997836396886_378478276_n.jpgIMG_0707.jpgIMG_0708000.jpg

Back