Logo

Wanted Manual starter for 9915 OMC

jdkline

Regular Contributor
" I just wonder if Joe or anyo

" I just wonder if Joe or anyone else has a used rope starter for my OMC 9.9/15 HP motor. Model # is CJ10RESC. After I moved the starter recently to upgrade the carburetor to the 15, my starter began to crap out on me. I've been advisewd that it's weak and needs to be replaced. So if anyone has a compatible OMC rope starter, post here and we'll deal. Thanks "

"JD..... For those who might n

"JD..... For those who might not know how to read a model number, that engine is a 1990 model.

I assume that you mean that it will not rewind properly? And you indicate that the starter was fine before you moved it. If so, it should be okay now. I'd suspect that the weakness is due to it not being wound properly. Frankly I've never heard of a weak manual starter. I'd suggest that you dismantle, clean, and reinstall it. Wind the spring (without the rope) to its limit, lock it there with vice grips gently gripping the top of the spindle, install the rope and let it rewind. That should restore its strength.

If there's some other kind of problem with it, let me know.

Joe
"

" Thanks Joe, I meant to tell

" Thanks Joe, I meant to tell you, you were right about the carburetor trouble being due to an improper slow speed adjustment and not the idle speed friction grip or the linkages. I guess the starter is not rewinding properly. Sometimes I'll just pull it and there is no resistance. It's not weak compression either, because there is strong resistance when the starter does catch. Maybe I did not reinstall it properely. Isn't the spring kind of dangerous to mess with? What should I expect to pay for a new or good used starter if I can't fix this one? Thanks again and have a great 4th! "

"JD.... There is a cup like fr

"JD.... There is a cup like friction ring under the plastic bendix gear of that manual starter. The larger portion of it should be in a groove that is designed into the bottom portion of the gear. The smaller outside loop rides up and down what looks like a metal flanged tower of sorts. It sounds like you don't have that friction ring snapped into the gear groove.

A new starter would simply have you right at the spot you're in now. You would have to assemble it. And yes, the springs are dangerous if you lose control over them.

Joe
"

" Looking for a starter cord f

" Looking for a starter cord for 1951 Merc Super 5, model KF5, serial # 434005. Any clue where to start looking?

Thanks

Mike "

Back