Logo

Want to move my kill switch - is it hard wired in?

metal-chicken

Regular Contributor
Our boat has the two light key switch panel with the kill switch at the bottom of the panel - the problem is that someone located the panel above the steering wheel which makes steering awkward as the leash gets in the way.
So I'd like to relocate the the kill switch to below the wheel which should be easy enough but can someone tell me if the kill switch is hard wired into the loom or does it plug in (so I can unplug it, extend the wires and then plug it back into the loom)? I'd look myself but I'm 100 miles away from the boat right now :(

Yes, you can extend the kill switch.

Some are plugged in, but do not have very long leads. They plug it at the key switch.

Most likely, you will have to cut the two leads to the kill switch and extend it. You will just need some wire (16 gauge will do), 4 butt connectors, and a crimping tool.

Mike

To answer dawgs question.....if the second kill switch is connected in parallel to the other kill switch, you can extend it to second location. Both locations will need the landyard installed for the engine to run. If the key is turned off or either landyard pulled....the engine will stop.

Mike

Back