Logo

Want to add a telltale

maremsk1

Hello all. I have a 75 hp Johnson outboard (2 stroke) from the 70's that apparently does not have a telltale. The manual indicates a "steam" that is supposed to come out but I dont see where or how that will help me at speed. The engine runs fine and does not overheat, but a stream of water would be alot more reassuring. Ive heard of adding one but not sure how thats done. Anyone done this before?

Best place to drill, is into the water jacket on top of the block. Just down 1/2" from the inner gasket of the exhaust cover. If using the original nipple, the threads are UNF. Was once a servicebulletin to change location from the exhaust cover to the top water channel to avoid air-pockets. On the outlet side of the hose, use the small nipple used in the late 90's 9.9/15. Fits into the hose and no need for the bigger nipple in the lower cover.

model # of the motor ?-----------Some OMC motors have a threaded plug that can be taken out.-----Easy to install the indicator.

Thanks for all the advice guys.....The model is 75ELR77S and the serial is J4751128...Can anyone tell what year this is from...I think its late 70's...Maybe 78?

Back