Logo

Vro2 wiring

keithm

Contributing Member
I have an 87 evinrude 150 with the vro2 system. I'm reinstalling the oil tank and have noticed the tank only has a 2 wire set up while the engine is a 4 wire. I assume this means the tank is from the earlier model. I was looking in the oem manual for a wiring diagram to see about getting this set up to work. Nothing in the manual shows the vro wiring. So am I going to have to change the float setup in the oil tank to a 4 wire?

I have no idea what four (4) wire setup you could possibly be speaking of.

The oil tank has two wires, one of which has a plug in terminal, the other has a terminal that accepts a bolt.

THe bolt terminal simply attaches to any powerhead ground.... the plug in terminal attaches to a TAN wire, which on that model, is normally hanging loose on the engine side of the engine's large RED electrical plug.

That's all there is to it.

When connected, and if the oil level of the tank drops to 1/4 tank or lower, the alarm horn should beep every other 20 seconds.

Thanks Joe
the connector I'm talking about comes directly of the vro pump and has 4 wires I assumed(because I can't find the vro wiring in the diagram) that there would be 4 wires off of the tank sending unit

keith

Thanks Joe, the connector I'm talking about comes directly of the vro pump and has 4 wires I assumed(because I can't find the vro wiring in the diagram) that there would be 4 wires off of the tank sending unit. keith

That 4 wire electric plug if disconnected completely eliminates the warning system of the VRO. It must be connected to a like electrical plug (nearby) if you intend to use the VRO setup.

I have looked all over this motor I cannot find a like connector. I found the tan wire for the oil tank. And I found a 3 wire connector. When I turn on the key I get a momentary alarm sound. I assume this is a test cycle of some kind.
Does the other end of the 4 wire, plug into the main harness or is integral?

I have looked all over this motor I cannot find a like connector. I found the tan wire for the oil tank. And I found a 3 wire connector. When I turn on the key I get a momentary alarm sound. I assume this is a test cycle of some kind. Does the other end of the 4 wire, plug into the main harness or is integral?

If the three wire connector incorporates the color wires... Purple, Tan, Black (I think), that would be the electrical connector for the old style 3 wire VRO. It was somewhere in this area that a wiring upgrade took place. Your dealership can supply you with the 4 hole electrical plug that has one additional wire included. You will need to switch the plug over.

The beep you hear when you turn the key ON is a self test of the warning horn to show that it is operational... NOT that the sensors are working properly... ONLY that the horn itself is okay.

The 3 wire is black, tan, grey, the 4 wire into the vro is black, tan, grey and purple. The engine is an 87 xp150. Does it sound like a vro2. Only thing I could find on it was that 84 and 85 had the issues, the vro2 found on 86 and later were more reliable. Is this true. Is it possible to purchase just the sub harness for the retrofit?

My apologies.... The three (3) wire plug is indeed "Black, Tan, Gray"... the "Purple" wire is the additional wire added when converting to the four (4) wire VRO setup. I'll blame a senior moment for that goof.

Yes, the harness, actually just the four wire plug with the one purple wire added, should be available.

JoeThanks for the info. If i understand correctly. I need the harness thatWill allow me to plug the 4 wire pump into the 3 wire engine harness?Ive been looking in the epc for a part number but have been unsuccesful so farAny ideaa?

JoeThanks for the info. If i understand correctly. I need the harness thatWill allow me to plug the 4 wire pump into the 3 wire engine harness?Ive been looking in the epc for a part number but have been unsuccesful so farAny ideaa?

No.... What you will do is to receive a 4 position electrical plug that has ONLY a purple wire included with it. You will then remove and discard the old three wire plug. Next step it to insert the three wires you just removed from that 3 pin plug into the new 4 pin plug so that they coincide with the VRO color coded wiring of course.

If you follow me, this will have your engine's wiring harness equipped with a four pin electrical plug that will connect to the four pin VRO wiring. The next step is to connect that purple wire to a 12 volt source that is engaged only when the key is in the RUN or START position.... usually a purple wire on a terminal strip at the engine somewhere.

I see if I have any of those harnesses laying around and will get back to you with a answer one way or the other right shortly.

That makes sense, Please let me know if you have one. Thanks again Joe

Sorry Keith, I couldn't find a one. I'm sure one of the other members will come up with one or if not, the proper part number so that you could order one. Being retired, my books don't go up high enough to locate that part number myself.

Any chance that part number would be 174170

No, I don't think so. The number of 174170 superseds up to 177285 and states in its description: "Kit, Pick Up 1.8Gal" with a list price (as of 2010) $126.44. Sounds like a kit for a oil tank to me.

I don't know but I don't think so as there's two (2) wires leading off that plug. You'll need to contact the seller and get across to him/her exactly what you're looking for. If I had one, I ship if to you for just the postage... hate to see you spend $40 for that small item.

Essentially it's a jumper for the grey, black and tan, and then the purple goes to the terminal strip from the pump?
if I made my own jumper would that work.

Back