Logo

VP DP-S chatter in Neutral

Homelite

I'd like some help from a qualified VP tech that knows these drives inside and out. I don't need beginner 101 mechanical advise! I'm a certifed ASE auto tech and I understand where my noise is coming from. What I don't know is the cause and fix (if any). This is what I need help with from a marine tech that knows these drives. I have a 2000 Four Winns Vista Cruiser. Bought with 100 hrs 2 years ago. Now it has 360 hrs on it. This noise has been present since I bought it. I feel this is a quality drive, but it bugs me because it sounds like a piece of (*&%@) debris at idle.

Condition: At idle in neutral only, rattling, clanking, clattering, noise you can hear in the boat. If you run it on the trailer with the flusher, and place your ear on the upper gearcase you can tell this is the source. Drop drive in F or R and noise goes away (due to load). More noticable in warmer water and after long runs (89.5 degree in Chesapeake Bay this past weekend). I've used VP factory Syn oil and other brands. Always syn 75w90 GL-5 as per the book. No oils been any better or worse. This noise is not gimble or U joint related.

My thoughts:
1. Upper gear set noise, but why? Not shimmed properly? Needs reshimmed due to break in?
2. Cone clutch (and/or it's linkage components) rattling when just sitting there in the N
position?

Seems to be one of the two! I really don't think anything is ready to fail. My friend has one that does this as well (not quite as loud as mine). Would 75w140 gear oil help? I see VP recommends this for their larger drives, DP-G and DP-H drives.

Thanks in advance. I'd pull this apart if I had some insight on what the cause is. I know I'm in the right ball park, I just need the right seat! Hopefully one of you is a good VP tech that sees this issue and can point me in the right direction. Maybe it's normal and I'm wasting my time.
homeliteView Public ProfileSend a private message to homeliteVisit homelite's homepage!Find all posts by homelite
post_old.gif
Today, 06:59 PM

I'd like some help from a qualified VP tech that knows these drives inside and out. I don't need beginner 101 mechanical advise! I'm a certifed ASE auto tech and I understand where my noise is coming from. What I don't know is the cause and fix (if any).

Condition: At idle in neutral only, rattling, clanking, clattering, noise you can hear in the boat. If you run it on the trailer with the flusher, and place your ear on the upper gearcase you can tell this is the source. Drop drive in F or R and noise goes away (due to load). More noticable in warmer water and after long runs (89.5 degree in Chesapeake Bay this past weekend). I've used VP factory Syn oil and other brands. Always syn 75w90 GL-5 as per the book. No oils been any better or worse. This noise is not gimble or U joint related.

My thoughts:
1. Upper gear set noise, but why? Not shimmed properly? Needs reshimmed due to break in?
2. Cone clutch (and/or it's linkage components) rattling when just sitting there in the N
position?
Mr. Homelite, you intro to your issue and question is rather unique in-that you have already reduced the number of potential responses that you may have received regarding this topic.
Point being, a non-mechanic type boat owner (who may have undergone this same problem and fix)..., may very well be Un-qualified to give you point by point mechanical details!
However, they may be able to share with you that which corrected his/her similar problem on their own similar engine/drive!
So don't shoot yourself in the foot here by asking for responses from only those who are "Experts"!
Well all learn from each other! :D

My thoughts regarding your thoughts:

1. Possibly! We can sometimes here a similar sound from a "standard" Auto/Truck transmission when the engine is at idle and in Neutral! Since you are a certifed ASE auto tech, you certainly know what the possible causes of this are.
The rolling torque for the DP-S main drive gear is crush sleeve controlled.
The main "drive gear"- to- "driven" gear back-lash is shim controlled.
The angular contact bearings at each "Driven" gear are well over-designed.
I doubt that these settings have changed much from OEM in 360 hrs..... but should NOT be ruled out completely.... IMO!

2. The transmission's vertical shaft and sliding sleeve (what you are calling "Cone Clutch") are NOT rotating while in Neutral. Only the Main Drive gear, and two driven gears (and related bearings) are rotating.

Any rotating mass that has the potential for causing this noise, is likely:
  • Maine drive gear
  • The two driven gears
  • Main Universal Shaft (aka Input Shaft)
  • Universal Joint section of above shaft
  • The two "Bearing Crosses" (aka misnomer U-joints)
  • Gimbal Bearing
  • Engine drive coupler (of which should be silent unless severely worn)
The GL 5 is the correct gear oil for this drive.

IMO, Mr. Homelite......., and since you are qualified to have ruled out Gimbla Bearing and Bearing Crosses, the most logical cause is simply gear contact noise.

I hope that this has been helpful!

Last edited:
Back