Logo

VP 260A DRY CARB

wildwilly1

HERE IS MY PROBLEM I PURCHASED

HERE IS MY PROBLEM I PURCHASED THIS BOAT LAST JULY RUNS GREAT. TOWARDS THE END OF LAST SEASON IF BOAT SITS OVERNIGHT IT WILL NOT START ACTS LIKE IT IS NOT GETTING ANY FUEL. I CAN POUR A LITTLE FUEL IN CARB STARTS RIGHT UP RUN FINE EXCEPT IF I GET ON IT IT HESITATES A LITTLE AND THEN TAKES OFF WOULD THIS BE A FUEL PUMP PROBLEM IT HAS A ROCH QUAD JET ON IT

"Sounds like a plugged up jet

"Sounds like a plugged up jet in the carburetor. I had a AQ200C do this (SB350 or 305), had to rebuild carb.

May also want to check and see if there is a plugged up fuel filter/water seperator on it."

"Try aprocess of elimination.

"Try aprocess of elimination. I would first drain the carb and examine it for water/sludge in the bowl. Then clean the fine strainer. Then start the engine and adjust the idle mixture/idle speed. If that does not cure the problem, I would dismantle it and rebuild it. A rebuilding kit for a Quad is usually not pricey."

what do you think about just b

what do you think about just buying a new carb i can get one for 228 remanufactured are these pretty much just bolt up and start up

"Anthony, Rick here.... yes, t

"Anthony, Rick here.... yes, that same Rick!
If you are not up for repairing your existing carburetor (discussed in depth) , yes.... replacing it may be a good option for you.
NOTE: There are NO NEW Q-jet carburetors out there. This carburetor has not been in production for years... which leads me to this next statement:

Beware of several Q-jet "re-builders" using e-Bay. There are two in California that I would strongly suggest that you "Steer Clear" of.
Hint hint!

Why not find a good capable local person who is very familiar with the Rochester Q jet, and have them go through it?

BTW, Holley does make a good reliable and direct spread bore replacement for these..... and yes, they ARE NEW!

."

I had that same problem when i

I had that same problem when it came to the carb rebuild for the AQ200C engine i helped with. We ended up taking the boat in cause the shifter was screwy and wasn't going into neutral. And they put the new carb on for us i made an agreement with the place i got the carb from if the shop didn't like it i could take it back. the shop liked the carb more then the ones they got they sent to rebuild.

I wouldnt trust a mail in carb repair. I have heard of people mailing there drives and outboards in for repairs and had good luck..

Back