Logo

Volvo Penta 5.7 GXi-F full closed loop cooling installation

Paraplan

Hi guys,
I'm trying to find a full closed loop solution for Volvo Penta 5.7 Gxi-F. With only half kits available for Volvos I wonder what can be done to customize them for a full solution.
The engine has captain call exhaust with long risers, so those can be adapted to get raw water directly.
Challenges:
1) Need to find appropriate size heat exchanger for full closed loop
2) Sounds like I would need to upgrade raw water pump to 30 gpm or so with output pipe diameter of 1 1/4". What options do I have? I could not locate those pumps for Volvo.
3) Need to find exhaust manifold blocking gaskets to separate closed loop from raw water getting into risers. Can Mercruiser gaskets be used? Sounds like manifolds are the same in both engines.
4) Do I need ECM tuned? Mercruiser kits require new ECM because engine with FWC operates at higher temperatures. I'm sure the same would apply to Volvo as well. Who and how can reflash the existing ECM?
5) Does anyone have a complete verified solution? I read through everything I could find on the internet and saw claims that "it can be done" but have not seen the whole project yet. Not sure why aftermarket does not have full FWC kits for Volvos.
Would greatly appreciate you input!

Back