Logo

Volvo Penta 280 leg power loss in Leg

Stevenv

Hi

I was planing at about 30 MPH when we suddenly lost power ,engine reved high but sounded fine I thought it was my prop slipping on the shaft ,we managed to limp out the lake as long as I kept the reves at 800 or less soon as I opened it up the motor just revved and the boat stopped..:cool:
I thought it was slipping on the prop bushing but once out the water I put it in gear and I could by hand turn the prop and make it slip ,it was not the prop bushing slipping as the splined shaft was turning.Any help what I should look for would be much appreciated.

Steven.

Last edited:
Thank you but as I said when I put it in gear and turned the prop manualy somthing else slipped as the spline was turning with the prop?

When you were turning the prop by hand was the engine turning over as well? When a hub is spun, it doesn't completely lose the ability to drive the prop...just when you give it the gas. That's how you can idle along in gear to get back to the ramp. I may be wrong but I'd still have that prop checked out.

I have my tail between my legs. You are absolutely right I was turning ovr the engine.How ever I am having a hard time keeping my tail from wagging,I thought I was in this for a lot of money.

Thank you for the help .

Back