Logo

Volvo aq145a plug wires

starsnstripes

In troubleshooting no spark to the distributor on my AQ145A I went to test the coil cable to the distributor.
The coil wire tests over 11K ohms on an ohm meter.
What is an acceptable range?
It is too much resistance to use the standard continuity check on the meter. Had to change the range until it gave the reading. I noticed the parts store guy set his meter to the same continuity setting and said my cable was bad. I asked him to change the setting and then he got a high resistance reading. I asked him what it should be and he didn't know but I could tell from his past experience that this was a go / no go test.
I removed this and the longest plug wire and headed to the auto parts store. We opened several different sets and the coil wires were all too short and even checking a Ford 390 V-8 set the longest plug wire was too short.
The plugs that are on it are 7mm and don't appear to be anything special. The coil wire appears to be from a different set as it is black and the plug wires are gray.
After researching shopping options on the internet the Sierra brand is extremely expensive. Over $125 US.
Is there an automotive or other 3rd party cable set that will work that won't break the bank? I can even crimp my own if that is what it takes.

Plug wires aren't marine specific so whatever high quality wires you can find are sufficient. If your original plugs have a heat shield or extra long boots, then you should look for those attributes as well. Most 4 cylinder sets will be just fine.

Yes, any good plug wire set will do. I took my old plug wires down to Kragen's and opened boxes of wires until I found a similar set. I ended up with a set of Bosch wires for about $30 and they have worked flawlessly on my 4 cylinder AQ130C for the past 8-9 seasons.

Nobody had the part recommended but the picture looks like it has a long coil plug so is probably correct. He said they might have some in this week but through testing do not think mine is bad. Found an assortment of single plug wires on a rack in Autozone. Tested their 24 inch cable at 15K and mine at 11K. They are not made of copper but graphite and it has different properties that make it more resistive. I saw some specs that showed how many ohms per millimeter the cable was so they do test high and a long cable may not test on the continuity setting of a multimeter. The setting that gives you a beep. This setting is actually used to the test voltage made from semiconductors such as diodes and transistors.

By putting a coil without an internal ballast resistor I got back to my buoy but burned up the pad on my points and also may have fouled the plugs.
Changed the points and now have spark to the plugs but no fire. Also read that the timing could be slipped with this symptom.
Changing plugs tonight.

Back